turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Before or after a front.

Started by DMP, April 03, 2011, 12:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMP

When had you rather get after a turkey?  Before or after a front moves in. 

I know I will be there anytime regardless but just curious.

TauntoHawk

The first clear sunny morning after a few days of rain can really get the birds amped to gobbler well all morning. But gobbling doesn't always mean they're gonna be easy

I've found birds most predictable on windy days even though they don't gobble much
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Struttin Spurs

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 03, 2011, 03:19:44 PM
I've found birds most predictable on windy days even though they don't gobble much

What do birds usually do on windy days that make them predictable? I havent really noticed a trend. I'm not saying there aren't any, just trying to learn a new trick or two to improve my chances. :)

turkey_slayer

Both. The calm before the front gets here, the moment the weather lets up, and the first calm high pressure day afterwards.  My favorite time, and we get one every year, is when towards the end of the season a cold front will move through and  the next morning after it passes the temps usually drop low enough to frost after its been in the 80s for a while.  Those mornings are always some of the best gobbling mornings

TauntoHawk

If its not overly windy just like on a day with light the moderate rain i generally find the birds right out in the middle of a big field, that way they can see predators coming and hens and toms can see each other from a distance when they cant hear well.

when wind and rain get worse they generally take shelter in a hollow or the off wind side of a hill especially if there are some pines to help break up the wind and rain.

in the past couple of years when the wind picks up and gobbles disappear Ive seen plenty of turkey hunters hit the dinner. Ive got a hollow and a sheltered pasture on two different farms that have yielded a couple of windy day gobblers without so much as a gobbler and twice without even a single call until the moment of truth when i wanted the gobbler to stretch his neck out a bit.

nothings guaranteed in the turkey woods but those spots give as much confidence on a day with wind or light rain as a sunny calm morning on my favorite oak ridge over looking the Hudson.. cant say the wait is as comfortable or exciting but its payed off in just as many beards all be it I have a lot to learn and many more beard to collect.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Struttin Spurs

Cool. Thanks for the info! Hopefully these tips will help me this year.