Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Not a limbhanger but on the board

Started by trkehunr93, April 13, 2016, 09:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

Not much to really tell, I was off work yesterday to pick up our dog from the vet and take my mom to chemo treatments and I had about an hour or two in between to hunt.  I was driving over to my hunting grounds which are about 7-10 minutes from my house and I was thinking sure would be nice to see a bird in one of the fields just to make my limited time worthwhile.  I had planned to park and make a short loop thru the woods where I had heard a bird gobble Monday morning.  As I'm driving over I get to where the property starts and a gang of turkeys is crossing in front of me, I slow down and see short beards on all of them, 6 total.  I thought you have got to be kidding me.  There is a place to park just past where they crossed so I pull in, load my gun, grab my vest, mask and gloves and sneak thru a small patch of woods next to where they crossed and plop down against the biggest tree about 5 yards off a hay field.  I figure they still have to be to my left no more than 40-50 yards away so I slip in a mouth call and pop the safety.  I Yelp wait a minute and Yelp again, within a minute of that I see redhead #1 followed by number 2 and 3 and as #1 clears some brush I ease my head down on the stock watch him for a minute as they are looking intently for the hen they heard and Boom! drop him at 20 yards.  I think from the time I parked to the time I shot couldn't have been more than 10-15 minutes.  Definitely a blessing.  Almost didn't go because I didn't want to end up in a long calling duel with a gobbler because of time but glad I went out.  Back at it Saturday and all next week, took some time off.

Thanks Drew!  Ghost cut did its job!

Told my wife I couldn't resist us taking a selfie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Nothing wrong with that! Congratulations! I knew it was just a matter of time.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bigbird

dirt road ninja

trkehunr93

Yep, still have one tag.  I'll be picky next time.  Couldn't resist killing this jake.  Whole gang of them came in and my trigger finger was itchy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

davisd9

Been there and done that!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Dr Juice

boomer

Congrats! I have been guilty of the itchy trigger before.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WNY Bowhunter

Congrats! I hope to scratch my itchy trigger finger this weekend in KY!!!  :fud:
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Dr Juice

turkeykiller22

Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/