Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Is it time.....

Started by blackmagic, April 12, 2016, 12:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmagic

to give up?  On a bird that is.  I've been haunted by "Pablo" since I spotted him during the youth season.  He's a stud for sure.  As ridiculous as it sounds, I jokingly named this bird Pablo Picasso due to his paintbrush of a beard he's sporting (and my little bro found it funny).  There were a few other birds roosting in the area including a few jakes and boy did they make their presence known during their predawn gobbling sessions.  That is until Pablo roars.  Only once, maybe an immediate second gobble....then everything else shuts up.  He's silent once he hits the ground until 11-11:30.  I'll normally hear my first hen of the morning then Pablo let one rip.  In very short order, he drifts off deeper into some private property taking whatever hens with him.  I've tried to reposition to cut him off, and even sprinting down trails to get in front, he always beats me. 
Finally thought I had that sucker a week ago.  As expected, he beat me to where he was going, but this time was different.  I had his attention with a some high pitched cutting on my mouth call.  Only thing he'd respond to.  I was running after he gobbled at me, I frantically looked for a place for him to come take a peek.  Took me awhile after finding out we were separated by a fence line and a swamp.  Great.  Finally find a little strip of land about ten minutes later and he gobbles back in my second yelp.....and he's cut off more than half the distance.  Here's where I think I messed up.  Boy did that sound good having him coming in.  So I started cutting, he gobbles, cluck, gobble, yelp, gobble....then all of a sudden, nothing.  I'm guessing in my excitement of hearing him respond, he lost interest when this "hen" never showed.  The next two gobbles I heard from him were progressively further away.  I'm pretty sure I should have shut up and let him come searching for me. 

Sorry for the long story.  I'm just trying to make it OK in my head to just tip my hat off to Pablo and spend the last couple hunts of the season trying to get a more cooperative bird.  What says the team?
(as I recount the interactions, I want to take tomorrow off and surely get frustrated by Pablo)

TrackeySauresRex

If you feel he may have been pressured give him the day off... Or two. If not,go for it.
  I've been lucky with birds close to noon.  I love the challenge of a bird like that. Sleep in late tomorrow. Head out around 9:30/10 (depending on the walk). I'd  like to get him to shock gobble. Get a good idea where he is exactly before I give him the juicy stuff.  If not... His strut zone maybe up and down that Ol fence row. Slip in that area and give him some sweet talk. Hopefully he answers. If so,tone it way down. Soft yelp,clucks and purrs with some leaf scratch. Followed by some silent treatment. Almost sound like yer not interested in that big Ol Tom. Maybe he'll come in and investigate. Sometimes less means more.He sounds like a good one.
:anim_25:
B-Well
Johnny
Someone once said.. "Don't give up,Don't ever give up"
Words we live by
:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Now get in the game! and go slay Pablo  :lol:
;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Twowithone

Patience is the name of the game here. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

I'd forego the roost action, and be between him and the private land. Get set up, wait for him to come to you. This late in the season, go with a single hen deke, your most realistic looking decoy. Call just enough to get his attention, nothing more. You're probably right, you probably bumbled that day by calling too much and enjoying his gobbles. We've all been there and done that. Just don't make that mistake twice.
Get that stud!! We can't let Turkeywhacker get the best bird of the season!! :lol: ;D ;) :TooFunny:

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 13, 2016, 08:54:54 PM
Get that stud!! We can't let Turkeywhacker get the best bird of the season!! :lol: ;D ;) :TooFunny:

Lolol!  :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Dr Juice

I agree with RutnNStrutn. Call less to get his attention and hopefully he will get inquisitive to meet his demise. Boom!
Good luck.

TURKEYWHACKER

Pablo is an evil, evil bird. He doesn't leave the private land. With the final weekend looming just days ahead, I think we should head back. Daybreak chase some other birds and then slip back to Pablo's haunt. You set up near that low spot in the fence and I'll call then drop back if he wants to play. Maybe employ the fan.

Oh, and Rut, bite me buddy. I deserve to have a bird to beat you out for once. ;D

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TURKEYWHACKER on April 19, 2016, 07:20:41 PM
Oh, and Rut, bite me buddy. I deserve to have a bird to beat you out for once. ;D
:lol: I think you should take me since you are tagged out and Blackmagic cannot go. We'll team and take down Pablo for him!! ;) 8) ;D

TURKEYWHACKER

He is available to hunt Sunday and we will be there. You on the other hand, are more than welcome to chase Pablo to your hearts desire, starting MONDAY morning.  ;D :toothy12: :TooFunny:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TURKEYWHACKER on April 21, 2016, 09:51:10 PMYou on the other hand, are more than welcome to chase Pablo to your hearts desire, starting MONDAY morning.  ;D :toothy12: :TooFunny:
::) :( >:( ;) ;D :TooFunny:

TURKEYWHACKER

Pablo is alive and well. We spent the last 10 minutes of the season watching him feed and ignore both us and a real hen about 300 yards across a pasture. Well gotta go, we only have 10 1/2 months to plan his demise.  ;D

blackmagic

It's funny, i was just looking at my text messages on Sunday and at 11:42 my message to you was "I just saw him."  Right on schedule....right where I thought he'd be.  Just silent and could care less about my calling.  I'll get you next year bud. 

RutnNStrutn

You should change Pablo's name to Diablo!!! ;D