Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Tagged out in S Carolina!!

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 10, 2016, 03:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

I'm tagged out in Carolina with an upgrade bird to my previous contest entry. :icon_thumright: Not much gobbling on the roost that morning, but after relocating, a gobbler fired up 200 yards away at 1015. :gobble: He gobbled 84 times in the next 40 minutes, at my calls, song birds and crows. Finally he got quiet, so I fed him silence as well.
After 10 minutes I floated out a few clucks followed by some soft yelps. He roared back his approval from just inside the woods. :gobble: Five minutes later he stepped out on the edge of the field. He walked into the field, but wasn't on course. I clucked at him, he raised his head, spotted my DSD hen, broke into strut :turkey: and started angling his way in towards her.
It took him about 8 minutes to work his way in. I dropped the hammer on my Dad's old Browning A5 when he was 25 yards out. The Federal Heavyweight #7's hit home and he crumpled into the dirt, a mere 10 yards from where the other two gobblers fell on my last trip. He weighed 18 pounds, had a 9-5/8" beard and twin 1-5/16" spurs.
He was the first gobbler I've taken with Dad's old gun that I tracked down and bought back after Pop passed away. :icon_thumright: It was an emotional harvest. I finally got a gobbler with my Dad's gun!! I knelt over the bird, looked towards Heaven and said thank you to my Dad. I know he was watching over me, and was smiling.

Dad's A5 that I tracked down and bought back after he passed away.

NJFF6925

Way to go Jim, you are on them this year!

Dr Juice

RutnNStrutn

Still got some good hunts to go too!! :icon_thumright:

TrackeySauresRex

Sweet!  :z-guntootsmiley: nothing better to harvest with your pops A-5 WTG Jim! Congrats
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

WildSpur

Congrats!    Great job!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Mountainburd

Heck of a season so far Rut, congrats!

Thebody

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Tomcat655

Hayudog

Good hunt and better story. Glad to see you took an old gun out. You are racking them up this year!

TURKEYWHACKER

Congrats again brother. Gonna call you in a bit for an update on your ongoing hunt.

RutnNStrutn