Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

NC Season Opener Forecast looks rough

Started by WNCTracker, April 06, 2016, 09:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

26 degrees, snow, and 25 mph winds forecasted for the WNC season opener this saturday morning....no sympathy from the northern folks on here but man, that's a rough start.  I bet I could devise a decoy kite to simulate flydown  :newmascot:  One thing's sure though, can't get them from couch.  I'm not expecting much gobbling...

kdsberman

Dang man, I know the feeling.  Our season here in MI starts the 18th and its freezing rain right now.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmn2

Man that's terrible. You must be in the higher elevations? Supposed to be chilly here in the upstate, but overcast once the rain stop. I'm going to be out there if I can leave work in time.

Semper Fidelis

Hunter1979

Ditto. Hail on the Maumee river today.

Although, kdsberman, lower Michigan is scheduled for low 60s for opening week.  I'm going to take off the second morning of warm weather.  Looks like the 19th or 20th.

wmn2

All ready to go for in the morning! Forecast looks like the rain will stop right when I get to the area I'm going to be hunting. Leaving work at 4:30 to make the hour drive to hunt.

Semper Fidelis

Hunter1979

WNCTracker

Wait they changed the forecast...make that 30 mph winds.  Crazy year, hunt november deer in a tshirt and spring turkeys in winter coat and long johns.

If you were a turkey in this weather, would you head to creek bottoms and draws or open fields?  I don't have much to go on for seeing turkey's in high wind in past so I don't have an experienced opinion.  anybody else have a theory they believe? 

Head for protection from cold wind in the bottoms and give up their hearing/vision senses for safety, or head to the field to improve their visual distinction and deal with the cold wind?  It's a toss up for me, I could see it going either way 

wmn2

Idk if you're out there or not John, but it's looking pretty rough in parts of NC. The wind is the worst part I think. Good luck if you did head out.

Semper Fidelis

WNCTracker

I went. 50 mph gusts!!!  I left when my full strut Jake turned into tumbleweed and trees were falling. Bumped one off the roost first light. Had one gobble 30 min but he wasn't buying what I was selling