turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2.75" turkey loads

Started by deltaV, April 02, 2011, 12:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deltaV

Does anyone make a 20ga, 2.75" turkey load and would this be a suitable load?

Had my 10y/o out at the range today, he shot the he!! out of his 2.75 / #9 dove loads, but I had him try a 3" turkey load and the gun damn near jumped out of his hands.....  then of course the water works started.  He insisted that he wasn't hurt and that it just startled him, but he also wanted to be done for the day. On the ride home, he told me he can shoot the 3"ers, but I'm worried that he might just be saying that so he doesn't disappoint me.  I don't want to ruin his experience.  He probably wont even know the gun went off when he's shooting at a big old tom, but I don't know.....

CB on the run

Federal FW HW #7 2 3/4"  google PHT256F

CB

R AJ

On the lead side there are the Win  23/4-1 1 /8-#6 s that I like for 30 yds and under.

deltaV

Ok, would these be suitable in a Mossberg 505 with an undertaker?   

I'm tempted to just stick with the 3" and tell him to man up a little.  I really think if he gets a shot with a 3", he'll be so pumped up he won't even know the gun went off.

CB on the run

I wouldn't tell him to man up as you'll possibly make him gunshy.  If he wanted to be done for the day, he had a bad experience with th 3".  I'd get him back to the range with the dove loads.  The 2 3/4" Federal 7 has 40% less recoil than the 3' and maybe just what he needs.  I cannot speak on lead as I never found any that would perform past 30 yards.  Good luck to you & your boy.

CB

deltaV

Thanks CB!  I'm just not sure I can find a box of the Federal stuff between now and Friday.  I certainly would prefer those though...... 

deltaV

I ordered those 2.75 loads from a place here in WI that said they have them in stock!!!  Hopefully they're here by Friday afternoon.

Thanks for the suggestion CB, I feel much better having him shoot a 2.75.   I should have mentioned, after he shot that 3" load, I had him shoot a few more dove loads and did just fine.  It was just the 3" that scared him.   So this 2.75 should be just what we need.