OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Newbie - SouthCackalackie - Got a BIRD yesterday!

Started by FlyFishNut, April 05, 2016, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyFishNut

Great  Site - looking forward to gaining some insights and hearing good stories here.

My dad turkey hunted, but I never took it up until this year.  I joined a hunt club for deer, hogs and turkey.  So far this year I've been 4 times (saw two jakes my first trip) and yesterday I actually sat still for a while and after calling had a hen start walking around clucking.  After 5 minutes of watching her cluck a Jake stuck his head out of the woods and walked up on my decoys.

He never made a sound and I can't believe how quiet he was (it was windy, so that may have masked his movement). 

He was a good healthy bird:  9" beard and 3/4" spurs (but they looked really worn - thick and short, not sharp??).  Anyway - it was a great to sit in the woods on a SC spring day and a bird just put the cherry on top.

I'm hooked.

FFN

davisd9

Not a jake, a tom.  Congratulations!  What part of SC?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

FlyFishNut

Quote from: davisd9 on April 05, 2016, 09:31:22 AM
Not a jake, a tom.  Congratulations!  What part of SC?

Thanks -  and I'll accept that correction any day.
Fort Mill - just south of Charlotte, across the state line a few miles.

How about you?

davisd9

About 20 minutes south in Catawba

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

OldSchool

Hi FFN,  :welcomeOG:   and congrats on a beautiful first bird!! :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

boomer

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

penna shooter

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.