Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Proper Scoring and Picture Documentation

Started by GobbleNut, March 29, 2016, 08:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Okay team, we have our first bird posted in the pic/score thread.  We need to review the details a bit and make sure everybody gets their scoring and pictures right (sorry, Roost 1,...not trying to be critical, but just using you as the example since you are the first one up).

First of all, don't short yourselves on spur lengths. Spurs are important component in the scoring system since they are worth 10X their measurements. Measure along the outside of the curve of the spurs, not in a straight line across the spur.  Also, the measurement is taken to the deepest part of the spur where it meets the leg  (Imagine a straight line parallel with the leg at the deepest point of the spur and measure along the curve of the spur from that point.  That is the proper way to measure spur length).  It is hard to tell from the pics, but it looks to me that Rooster is shorting himself on the spurs,...maybe not, but it sure looks that way to me.

Secondly, the beard length photo must show the entire beard and clearly show where the tape is at the end of the beard sheath.  Roost 1's picture of the beard does not, and in a tight race (like we had last year) that picture would be disqualified from the scoring.

Finally, I don't want anybody to think that I take this contest too seriously.  I don't.  It is just for the enjoyment of the members of OG and really doesn't make a rat's patootie worth of difference to anybody.  It is just that, if we are going to go to the trouble of having a team and participating in the contest, let's make sure we get everything right. 

Now get out there and kill some more gobblers so we can win!!   ;D :toothy9: :newmascot:

Roost 1

Thanks for the advice..... It's really hard to do workout any help and as you could it was getting dark on me fast.... I'm sure I'll have an upgrade or 2 but at least I'm on the board... Maybe next time I won't be so rushed..

anthonyjhallen

Good points Jim.

Here are some things I have found useful. Most of the time I am by myself which adds to the difficulty in getting good pictures.

Use a tripod if you have one and set the camera to a delay. This will help you because you can use both hands instead of holding the camera with one.

Next, use a flexible tape measure for the Spurs. It's the only way you will get a precise measurement.

Bread ties can help hold the beard to the tape.

Weigh the bird right away. If you have to gut him and get beard and spur measurements later.

I hope this helps. If someone else has any pointers feel free to chime in.

Now, let's kill some turkeys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

honker22

I've always struggled with the beard measurement showing base to tip by myself.  I will try the bread tie tip.  In the past, I've measured the beard as best as I could and then plucked it off and showed the same measurement... just in case... although that's not exactly the rules but I figured a second pic would not hurt me with the judges.  I guess, I could pluck off half the feathers off his chest and that would help but I don't like to make a mess and my dogs will choke on feathers for a week.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.