OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bearded Vs. Non Bearded

Started by Beeaav, March 25, 2016, 07:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeaav

Can someone post pictures of what bearded turkeys look like as opposed to non bearded turkeys. I'd really appreciate that. Thank you

eorlando

stinkpickle

For non-bearded, just imagine it without that part.

They are not related to bearded chipmunks...

NYlogbeards

Sorry for the sarcastic posts you received, some people must not understand there are hunters new to hunting. A bearded Turkey is usually a Male or some Females can have a beard but rarely do, if your state's hunting laws permits Bearded Turkeys only then you are only allowed to harvest a Bearded Turkey, you could search for images on google for bearded and non bearded Turkeys for more details.

northwoodshntr

Quote from: NYlogbeards on March 25, 2016, 11:52:22 PM
Sorry for the sarcastic posts you received, some people must not understand there are hunters new to hunting. A bearded Turkey is usually a Male or some Females can have a beard but rarely do, if your state's hunting laws permits Bearded Turkeys only then you are only allowed to harvest a Bearded Turkey, you could search for images on google for bearded and non bearded Turkeys for more details.
X2! Google search bearded hen turkey. They aren't "RARE" but not common either. My state's licence states "bearded turkey" which makes a bearded hen legal. Although your miss out on bragging rights, trophies and a bit more meat from a big ol tom, bearded hens are also sterile. They won't continue to improve the flock or population but will consume their share of resources. In tough country like my area I'll "Take Er"

OldSchool

All the years I've hunted turkeys and I learn something new here all the time. I never knew that bearded hens were sterile and I've passed on the few that I've seen, even though they were legal.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I don't believe bearded hens are sterile in general.   Bearded hens have been observed with poults.

Here's one source
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_k0700_0053.pdf

"Can a bearded turkey hen raise young?
Yes. They (about 15 percent of all Rio Grande hens in Texas have visible beards) are as productive as hens without beards. Beards appear on older hens and increase in size and thickness with age."

OldSchool

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 26, 2016, 01:01:38 PM
I don't believe bearded hens are sterile in general.   Bearded hens have been observed with poults.

Here's one source
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_k0700_0053.pdf

"Can a bearded turkey hen raise young?
Yes. They (about 15 percent of all Rio Grande hens in Texas have visible beards) are as productive as hens without beards. Beards appear on older hens and increase in size and thickness with age."

Thank you. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

g8rvet

Bearded hens have same sterility rate as non bearded hens.  According to some reading I did last year. FWIW. I AM a vet and did NOT stay in a Holiday Inn last night. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Rapscallion Vermilion

The word is still out on bearded chipmunks though.  Maybe stinkpickle knows.   :toothy12:

fallhnt

If a bearded hen lays eggs she will have a kink in the beard,if it is long enough, to prove she nested. The kink comes from incubating the eggs. I've have shot 4 bearded hens and seen a few more. Two that I've taken had 9in.+ beards on them. One of them had such a kink in it. She is mounted overlooking a clutch of eggs.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Farmboy27

Bearded hens are not sterile!!!  That's just an excuse to shot them where it's legal. I have seen bearded hens with young several times.  And as far as the original post,  the best thing you could do is to tag along with an experienced turkey hunter for a year or two to get things figured out. Best of luck!

NYlogbeards

:welcomeOG:
Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 26, 2016, 04:50:30 PM
Bearded hens are not sterile!!!  That's just an excuse to shot them where it's legal. I have seen bearded hens with young several times.  And as far as the original post,  the best thing you could do is to tag along with an experienced turkey hunter for a year or two to get things figured out. Best of luck!

What's that have anything to do with shooting a Bearded Hen? I'll follow my state law and you do what you perfer but until the law says otherwise I will continue to tag Bearded Hens

Ihuntoldschool

Bearded hens are most definitely not sterile.

beakbuster10

Bearded hen on the left. Bearded gobbler on the right. Check your state regs. Some states require only a beard, some states require a bearded male. . And so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk