turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

crow call for shock gobbling?

Started by beard collecter45, April 01, 2011, 03:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beard collecter45

So id like to know how come whenever i use a crow call to try and locate a bird he dosnt shock gobble? I see it on tv all the time and ive had them gobble at live crows but not to my crow call i think it sounds pretty realistic. The owl hooter always works for me but when go caww caww caww on the crow call it dosnt work can anyone explain whats going on?

lightsoutcalls

I get much the same result with a crow call.  I can get crows all stirred up... enough to get them to come in in groups and sit in trees above me... but gobblers... not so much. 
I think they gobble to what they want to gobble to, not that you are doing anything wrong.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Ladderslug

I use a crow call as well and it works one day and doesn't the next day. Keep in mind, if a turkey is fired up enough, he'll shock gobble at a slammed truck door, a train whistle, a hawks call, even a distant shotgun blast. I wouldn't stop using the crow call, but you might try "rolling" your tongue at the end of your call sequence. It helps. Goofy birds those gobblers!   :anim_25:
---leave only footprints---

Devastator

yesterday morning an hour after daylight i stopped to listen on a dirt road where i hunt and there were crows going off all over and no gobbles.i always carry my hooks crow call with me so i pulled it out and gave it a shot and 6 different times i had 3-4 birds respond.not once did they to the crows that were near them.i had this happen last year.not sure what is different about that little call but it works for me.i think shootum said it might be the little higher pitch.

Danger DAve

There are so many crows where I hunt I don't think they pay them any mind.

jims

The other day when they were responding to crow calls it seemed like there weren't any crows around and suddenly several of them passed by.  I imagine if the toms get used to hearing lots of crows calling that they may not respond.  It definitely seemed like a shock-response kind of deal when the toms were already fired up and calling.  Turkeys must have great hearing because at times I could barely hear the crows or other gobblers gobbling and toms would respond.

vt35mag

The problem I ran into was the Hammerin Crow call I had wasn't loud enough.  Since I switched to a Primos Power Crow, my shock gobbling success has gone up noticeably.  Doesn't work everytime, but I have had better luck since making the switch.  Sometimes its more about volume then realism with locator calls.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: vt35mag on May 29, 2013, 10:32:19 AM
The problem I ran into was the Hammerin Crow call I had wasn't loud enough.  Since I switched to a Primos Power Crow, my shock gobbling success has gone up noticeably.  Doesn't work everytime, but I have had better luck since making the switch.  Sometimes its more about volume then realism with locator calls.
I agree 100%. The Primos "Power Crow" is my favorite locator call. It's LOUD.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

TarheelTurk

The black Primos power crow is the only one I get them to respond to here in NC ! If ya can run across an original one that's even better
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

TRKYHTR

I got the Wildtalkers, Mike Battey, new crow call prior to the season. It is the best sounding crow call I have ever heard.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

M Sharpe

turkeys gobble out of shock to them. If you're just caw, caw, caw, don't expect much in return. What shocks them is CAW,CAW,CAW
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!