OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blind Setup

Started by TJR, March 21, 2016, 06:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJR

Morning folks. So this year will be my sons first season turkey hunting. We will be using a pop up blind to help conceal his movement and make things a bit more comfortable for him. I have never used a blind to hunt out of and was wondering how early you guys that use them set them up before the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Take them out the morning of the hunt, set them up and hunt in them.  Turkeys don't pay a bit of attention to blinds like deer do.  No brushing in or anything.  The only thing you need to be aware of is the sun.  Keep it as dark inside as you can to conceal any movement.  Only open the windows that you need.

Planner

I set mine up a couple weeks ahead, but only for convenience. As bbcoach mentioned turkeys don't get spooked by the blind. When I take my daughter we are so weighed down by all the snacks and drinks I wouldn't be able to lug out the blind and two chairs.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I have set my blind up in the morning within 100 yards of large flocks of birds in a wide open field and have had them land within range of it an hour later!

Make sure you can set it up easily if you plan on doing it that morning, if you are hunting close to home and have the option of knowing where you want to hunt already I would go and set it up ahead of time when the birds are not likely to be around that area.

fallhnt

Don't face into the sun and don't leave a bunch of windows open.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

The Woodsman

My grandfather was blind

fallhnt

Quote from: The Woodsman on March 21, 2016, 06:55:51 PM
My grandfather was blind
How did you set him up. Weeks ahead?
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy