North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2 years in a row opening day

Started by Tennessee Lead, April 02, 2016, 05:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Lead

Well I headed up the steep hill on the left hand side like usual
6:00 am birds were cranking but none on my side. They were 2 below me and several on the right hand side. I made a plan to ease over to the 2 below me to the first shelf and try to call em up hill. Well I hadn't intended on jumping 3 hens off roost. They went to the bottom and the gobblers did to shortly thereafter.
I decided I'd make my way around the long way by traveling ridge tops and try to get on one on the right side.
I made it halfway around and found a truck parked on our place where I called up those 3 last weekend.
There is 4-5 different landowners that join back in here and it's gated off and well over a mile from pavement to drive in. I ain't sure why they parked there but it didn't set well with me because I set up there sometimes and had planned to if I could not get on one.
I kept on my way and heard 3 hammering on another property. The log road is the boundary I got up to where I felt was a good spot and set up on our side in the woods. I broke out the Dawkins stoned aluminum and boy they liked it.
I heard a hen answer but had a feeling it was another Hunter because of the truck but wasn't sure. Well they started my way and the hen/Hunter would call and they'd go back. We played tug of war for 20 minutes. The last they gobbled they were back on the other property and went silent. I figured I'd lost I set there awhile just listening almost gave up and they gobbled again. I called to them and they came down to me in a run. I could hear them walking just out of sight. Well the hen/Hunter called and they headed back. I yelped a few times on the Halloran TKO here they came back well hen/Hunter called here they went to them lol !
I said enough I called again and started scratching in the leaves and wasn't no time Pssst Vroom!
All 3 came off the other place and crossed out in the log road
I shot the last one at 17 yards
I almost whiffed on him. He flipped and flopped till I grabbed him.
My pattern pounded a tree 23 yards from where I was sitting .
I had a couple lucky pellets I reckon. 
Turns out it was another Hunter who came in from the bottom on that property he walked out and we talked a bit before I headed out. He said he never heard me call at all till the 835 roared he had no idea I was around. We had a nice visit seemed to be a good feller. That's the first time I've encountered people back there.
Hope it doesn't become a normal occurrence lol. Still gotta find out who was parked in the truck and ask them not to park there.
I failed to film this hunt ???? I hit record but somehow hit the power button after.

18.9 pounds
9.25" beard
13/16" both Spurs