OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

copperheads

Started by Prohunter3509, March 16, 2016, 12:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prohunter3509

Yall better be careful, I am in mississippi this early season warm spell.
Got hit by a large copperhead  . When I saw him I jumped
Back but he still hit the toe of my boot. I went to get a limb to hold his down and cut his head off and he slid under the pine straw and I lost him. I always a carry a 22 but for some reason I
Didn't carry it  won't happen again I bet. :smiley-char092:

bbcoach

With 70 and 80 degree days, I guarantee the copperheads, rattlesnakes and cottonmouths are out in full force so everyone keep an eye out and Be Safe!

wvmntnhick

Fellas, my sniffer doesn't work to well. Is it true that copperheads smell like cucumbers?

FullChoke

I don't know about cucumbers, but the ones I see all smell like poop.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

R AJ

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 16, 2016, 02:34:00 PM
Fellas, my sniffer doesn't work to well. Is it true that copperheads smell like cucumbers?

That is IF they are riled so don't expect any warning other than the initial post above.
I have smelled a few in my career in the woods but any odors were those after they left or while being challenged.
I have accidentally straddled a diamond back and peed on it without it striking, nearly placed my foot into the mouth of a cottonmouth laying in a puddle of water and encountered several copperheads but never bitten.

Be careful because it happens somewhere every year.

Hooksfan

Copperheads, rattlesnakes and water moccasins will all emit an unmistakable odor if they are agitated.  Just so happens I have agitated a few of each in the process of making them good snakes.  I can't say that I would call it a cucumber smell, but I do know I know it when I smell it. 
One of the biggest changes for me moving from Louisiana to Missouri (other than having a lot more turkeys to chase) was the number of encounters with poisonous snakes all but disappeared when I moved to Missouri.

Prohunter3509

I call it a stinkweed smell
I stayed there a minute got my
Thoughts back together
And the smell I got in that spot smelled like stink weed
I had to make sure it wasn't something else. Lol
He went back under the pine straw so you better keep a watch

Will

Quote from: FullChoke on March 16, 2016, 02:42:34 PM
I don't know about cucumbers, but the ones I see all smell like poop.

Haaaaaaaa. Isn't that the truth!

wvmntnhick

I've handled my share of rattlesnakes but have only seen a few copperheads. I've never noticed an odor from either of them. Of course, I don't smell stink bugs either so that an apparent plus.

cutt down

That's why I wear snake boots. I can attest from personal experience that my muck woody armours are copperhead proof. In 29 yrs of turkey hunting been hit once & I'm glad I had snake boots on.

M Sharpe

If he is getting away, I have a loaded shotgun in my hand!! I use it!!
Rattlesnakes smell like an old boar goat.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

J-Shaped

Between the rain and the recent warm temps in the southeast, they're out. Along with all of the insects of the biting and stinging variety. Glad you're ok from the strike.

owlhoot

Ya i would have done some patterning in the pine straw !

Greg Massey

I always wear snake boots turkey hunting..i hear some many people on this forum say i only carry three shells with me turkey hunting .. all i can say is you are crazy..

Sixes

The venomous snakes that I have encountered seem to have a very musky odor, almost like fox pee. It's an unmistakable smell after you have a couple close encounters and get a good whiff of one. From then on, you can just "smell" them