North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opening day blues

Started by FullChoke, March 16, 2016, 12:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Gang,

Opening day here looked like it was going to be packed with fun, but somewhere it all leaked out. It was a beautiful, silent morning and a beautiful, silent afternoon. I am pretty sure that the flooding conditions were a major contribution to the quiet, but I would have loved to have heard at least one attempt at greeting the morning. Things will return to normal in a week or two and I will be there.

Was anyone else out there after them yesterday?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

harleytom

Only saw 1 hen yesterday afternoon. No gobbling either morning but thought I was gonna score about a couple of hours ago. Had 3 gobblers come into the far end of a V-shaped field I set up on. They were about 200 yards away but I purred and clucked and they started my direction. I had a feeder hen and a lookout hen set up in the inside of the V about 20 yards from me. They kept working toward me and eyeballing the decoys. I was uphill from them and when they got below the rise I got my gun up and was ready to shoot when they popped up over it. Instead they got about 60 yards from setup and veered into woods below me and came out on other end of field 100 yards away. I started turning up the heat on the calling but could only make one goto half strut before the walked back into woods. Frustrating start of the season to say the least. Oh, and can we talk about the heat? 85 yesterday and around 80 today. Too hot too soon.

mason3toes

Got setup on 3 gobbling their heads off in the tree Tuesday morning. When they hit the ground not a peep and i guess they went the other way. I heard those and several more but none after fly down. I came down with some bad congestion yesterday evening and didnt get to hunt today. Im off till monday so lord willing ill be back after them in the A.M. and everyday after. Good luck guys.

Eric Gregg

No action my place either so far. I was betting on Tuesday being a great day to start the season on.
May take a couple of more days where I am for them to get fired up.
However, it was a beautiful morning to get out there and see the woods wake up.
We will be after them again Friday.....