OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new turkey project gun. need help

Started by mightyjoeyoung, March 31, 2011, 04:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

I normally shoot a couple of purpose built 835's and my SBE II for turkey.  They are absolute turkey detroyers!  My problem is now I'm trying to work up a new 20 gauge as a turkey gun and being the do it yourselfer I'm looking at a few basic field grade guns to convert to a new lightweight, compact slayer.  I was looking at the Pardner pump but have some reservations.  Number one is the furniture.  Are there any upgrage replacement stocks that will fit these little guys?  The fella from H&R was a total waste of time and didn't know anything about the gun outside of what he read to me verbatum off the product guide.  I like thye sure shot and the knox and the other collapsable "tactical type" stocks as they would allow some flexiblity for clothing and shooter size.  My other reservation is that they're made...in China, even though the one I looked at at the local Gander almost looked like the reciever was machined out of a solid steel billet!  Man was that sucker heavy...and that was the compact/youth model. Should serve to soak up some recoil for the stout high performance loads I'm looking to feed it?  I take kids with life threatening illnesses hunting for Hunt of a Lifetime and it looks like weight aside, it would make quite the little turkey smasher.  Any sugestions guys?  And thanks in advance!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

msgobblergetter

One important thing to consider....It may be in your best interest to go with a Rem Choke threaded outfit... Many more 20ga. chokes available for Rem than other threads.

imtalkinturkey

You cant go wrong with the 870 youth 20! :newmascot:

dawei

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 31, 2011, 04:24:56 PM
I normally shoot a couple of purpose built 835's and my SBE II for turkey.  They are absolute turkey detroyers!  My problem is now I'm trying to work up a new 20 gauge as a turkey gun and being the do it yourselfer I'm looking at a few basic field grade guns to convert to a new lightweight, compact slayer.  I was looking at the Pardner pump but have some reservations.  Number one is the furniture.  Are there any upgrage replacement stocks that will fit these little guys?  The fella from H&R was a total waste of time and didn't know anything about the gun outside of what he read to me verbatum off the product guide.  I like thye sure shot and the knox and the other collapsable "tactical type" stocks as they would allow some flexiblity for clothing and shooter size.  My other reservation is that they're made...in China, even though the one I looked at at the local Gander almost looked like the reciever was machined out of a solid steel billet!  Man was that sucker heavy...and that was the compact/youth model. Should serve to soak up some recoil for the stout high performance loads I'm looking to feed it?  I take kids with life threatening illnesses hunting for Hunt of a Lifetime and it looks like weight aside, it would make quite the little turkey smasher.  Any sugestions guys?  And thanks in advance!
You would be far better served with an American made RemingtonĀ® or MossbergĀ® IMHO.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

jtg88

Quote from: msgobblergetter on March 31, 2011, 06:48:18 PM
One important thing to consider....It may be in your best interest to go with a Rem Choke threaded outfit... Many more 20ga. chokes available for Rem than other threads.

+1 on this.  I have a Winchester youth 20 gauge and it is a pain to find chokes for that sucker.  Everywhere I look to buy they have plenty of RemChoke stuff but very little winchoke/invector/mossberg

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mightyjoeyoung

Went to Gander last night to see what I could find as far as chokes.  Losts of rem chokes for sure. Most 20 gauge turkey chokes there in win chokes were older, economy type chokes and if I'm gonna build a 20 guage turkey gun I want to put the best chokes I can on the buisiness end!  Next step...look for a used 20 gauge 870 compact as I want to keep my 28" for small game. 

gophert

I bought a 870 20 ga Youth model at walmart this year for $257.  Gonna be difficult to find one much cheaper.

mightyjoeyoung

Walmart is out for me up here.  Alll the store in NW, PA carry guns any more...and barely carry sporting goods in general any more.  Goin the way target did I gues.  Too many liberal d bags at the wheel.

Ranman

Try gunbroker, you can get a deal if you take your time. I use a 870, and love it.  Very light and a joy to carry. 

mightyjoeyoung

I just had me an epiphany!!  I have a TC Encore Pro-Hunter and iall I have to do is pick up a barrel!!  A...duh!  Got my last barrel for it from keenzos.com for about 40% off retail so a 20 gauge barrel should be a slam dunk and with no big reciever, it should prove to be short and manuverable too! :icon_thumright:

woodchip

I hate that people are buying these Made in China guns.  If they keep it up soon all our Remingtons and Mossbergs are going to be stamped Made in China so they can get their prices as low as the Pardners and be competitive.  Bad enough China is making all the JUNK we import but now firearms!!  Come on people!

old3toe

you might take a look at the new mossberg 20 ga. mini super bantam..they havent been out long and i got one as soon as i could..it is black synthetic and has a short 18.5 inch barrell with 3 screw in chokes.it is even smaller than the super bantam..not sure how much it weighs but its about the lightest and shortest i've picked up..i put an ati tactical six position stock on it and a red dot sight and its still little lol...i polished the barrel on mine and am shooting a carlsons .575 and nitro 4,5,7 load and anything out to forty yards is in trouble...i also have the camo super bantam.i shoot an indian creek .555 choke and nitro straight sevens out of it..the federal heavyweight 6 shot shoots very good out of the carlsons choke as well..i thought the super bantam was small and handy lol the mini super bantam is even more maneuverable and is perfectly capable of taking on the biggest of toms..i bagged two with it as a matter of fact last week..i'll try and post a pic of my set ups...       

old3toe

mossberg super bantam camo and mossberg mini super bantam black

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hardtime_NC

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 02, 2011, 12:42:27 PM
I just had me an epiphany!!  I have a TC Encore Pro-Hunter and iall I have to do is pick up a barrel!!  A...duh!  Got my last barrel for it from keenzos.com for about 40% off retail so a 20 gauge barrel should be a slam dunk and with no big reciever, it should prove to be short and manuverable too! :icon_thumright:
:z-guntootsmiley:
Theres no dollar sign on a piece of mind!