OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Big Birds & Big Swamps

Started by Flounder, March 06, 2016, 10:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flounder

Any of you guys ever hunt big swamps. I have 13000 public acres that back up to 40 I just purchased for a investment. How do you guys hunt big swamps? Walk and try to locate. Boat and drift? any tips  would be thankful.
Do you find these big swamps hold older birds due to lack of pressure? Most of my hunting are around ag. fields.
Thanks,
Marlon

hotspur

Find ridges, usually close to water ways, here bayous. Find yellow tops they feed on them early,find where tree species change is slight changes in elevation. Turkeys gobble all day in the swamps. Scout well do more sitting, the turkeys can see far in swamps

Flounder

What are yellow tops? I know I will probably get hammered on this, but I have to ask. Never heard this before.
Thanks

hotspur

Yellow flowers, usually the first things to sprout in the swamps. 2seasons ago this was the only succulent  vegetation in the swamps  I hunted

quavers59

You need to walk the area. Find out where the (briars ) are thick. Up here in Orange County NY--- I am checking out a wetland area near a slough. I need to know it before the greenup as it is new to me. 3 times there scouting so far.

Flounder

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going out this weekend and scout and will apply all this info.
It's a special place and reminds me when I was growing up, everything is bigger and it really is.
I hope I can get on something, cause them swamp Gobblers are so special when they make "the ground shake"

augasman

I hunt a place in Alabama that has a lot of water. Swamps, sloughs, creeks, lakes, you name it. My experience has been that the birds that live in there pay less to water than the ones on dryer ground. For example, I've watched many turkeys, even groups of them, walk to the edge of a slough that's 75 yds wide and flap twice then glide over to me. Most never even broke stride. I generally have two strategies.  If I can get right to edge without being seen, I try to call them to ended and shoot across, if it's not too far. If I don't think I can get there, I stay back about 100 yds from the edge. If you get too close they can land right on top of you or even fly past you. Neither usually works out real well for me. I've also noticed that they don't seem to like water that is flowing very fast and usually won't cross it. Also these birds almost always roost over water. If you pick right side, you've usually got a pretty good chance. Hope this helps and good luck.

Scottyb

The whole lower eastern shore of Maryland is a swamp.....

Bugs, bugs, and more bugs... Thick greenbrier, and access from multiple locations makes flatland swamp hunting tough!!

The birds here love creeks and water and will live out on little tumps in a flooded woods. 

One of the coolest hunts I've ever had was shooting a longbeard at 9 steps while standing in a mosquito control ditch up to my waist in water while he strutted in a salt marsh...  Love swamp birds!!!!
Mossy Oak Pro Staff...