turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lot numbers and consistency

Started by 357MAGNOLE, February 28, 2016, 02:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

So how bad is it from lot number to lot number really?

Many times I have read for someone to buy "as many of one lot number as they can afford". Well that's great in theory, if you can happen across 15-20 boxes in stock. With the Fed HW #7's I can only find a couple in stock at differing locations. Purchasing online is no guarantee for a match of lot numbers either.

From what I have read it almost seems like people believe you are getting a totally different shell with each differing lot number. My understanding is the lot number is not a recipe, it's a run of shells made in the same day/week or however they do it in batches.

Either way, there surely can't be that big of a fall off unless they change the design behind the shell right?

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Cleveland48

I've wondered this myself. I've always seen people asking for lot numbers on federal HW, but I've honestly never paid attention. I didn't even know where the lot number was lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fieldturkey

I have never paid attention to lot numbers but I have noticed that the hw7 are some of the most inconsistent shells I have ever shot. Maybe that's because I'm shooting different lots. Who knows. I know I can shoot in the 160s a few times and then be right back at 130 and so on. It's frustrating

decoykrvr

I try to eliminate as many variables as I can when shooting rifles, revolvers and shotguns to maximize accuracy.  I establish a cleaning protocol to minimize shot to shot variability and unless I'm reloading, in which case I have control of components, when I find a given lot number of shot shells which produces the "best" turkey hunting patterns I load up on that particular lot number.  I've seen a significant amount of variability in EnvironMetal shot shells as components have been changed and by purchasing a single high performing lot number you significantly decrease variability.  In my experience, buying shot shells per lot number definitely has produced positive performance results.

2nd 100

In my experiencia enviro-metal varies from year to year .We have had some nitros at 200+ pellets then reorder to only have the next ones come in at 160. Heviweights seem to be lot dependent in any same year. Have one lot shoot 190's then the next lot # go mid 140's.
40 to 50 pellets isnt a dealbreaker for a 12 ga around 300 pellets but they are in a 20 ga. In the real World this equates to @ 10 yards less effective range. A 20 ga  Can be and is a 40 yard turkey gun without these variables. Just clean bore to dirty bote will change my 2 guns @ 25 to 30 pellets