Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Gettin a new Turkey Gun!

Started by kevin2, February 25, 2016, 07:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I've spent the first 3 seasons hunting with my bow, and I've decided to give a shotgun a go. My 12 gauge just is to much on my shoulder. So, I'm selling it! Getting a Weatherby SA-459 Turkey Semi Auto RealTree Xtra Green Camo in 20 Gauge, pretty excited. That is it, no MORE Turkey hunting purchases this season!

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Smooth_Operator

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

kevin2

Happy

Congrats on the purchase. Have heard good things about federal hevi weight #7 shot. Setting up a mossberg 500 youth for my boy. Have a Carlson hevi shot choke tube in it and various hevi shot loads to try. Just waiting for it to warm up. Every gun is different but I would suggest hevier than lead shot for the 20. Good luck!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

kevin2

I am reading about 20g loads as we speak! I was thinking of going with Winchester Long beard BUT they don't make any 20g shells. I'll give the Carlson hevi Shots a look...thanks!

Quote from: Happy on February 25, 2016, 08:06:49 PM
Congrats on the purchase. Have heard good things about federal hevi weight #7 shot. Setting up a mossberg 500 youth for my boy. Have a Carlson hevi shot choke tube in it and various hevi shot loads to try. Just waiting for it to warm up. Every gun is different but I would suggest hevier than lead shot for the 20. Good luck!

spurman

Good looking rig Kevin. My friend likes the federal heavyweights for his 20.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

ccleroy

Carlson's .575 and Heavyweights 7's are your friend if you don't make your own shells......you will love that gun......I know I love mine!!

kevin2

I was just on chuckhawks.com reading about that load. Looks good.

Quote from: spurman on February 25, 2016, 08:26:50 PM
Good looking rig Kevin. My friend likes the federal heavyweights for his 20.

Happy

I have no idea how this one patterns yet. Research has shown me that trulock chokes and hevi weight #7 shot have been the ticket for many people. Think the primos tightwad has also done fairly well. I am not trying to get an overly tight pattern on my boys gun. He tends to get pretty exited when a Tom's coming in.  So do I come to think of it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

jarbo03

Congrats on the new gun!  I too am setting up a new 20 ga, got one for my soon to be wife and thinking bout using it myself.  I reload HTL for my 12, but will prob stick with Fed heavy #7 or Hevi 13 #7 for this year in the 20.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Gobble!

FL-Boss

I love my SA-459 20ga.  Federal #7 ( or HEVI-13, #7) + Carlson choke = bad medicine.

Smooth_Operator

Quote from: Gobble! on February 29, 2016, 02:48:06 PM
Quote from: kevin2 on February 25, 2016, 07:38:40 PM
Thanks! NOW to find some good shells...

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on February 25, 2016, 07:35:09 PM
Sweet looking rig there buddy  :happy0064:

Roll your own TSS.

I'm assuming you roll your own loads? I've been thinking about doing this for a few years now but have never made the commitment. I load my own rifle and pistol rounds and from what I've read loading TSS is easier than loading other those.  I may need to pick your brain in the very near future if you'd be willing to help...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

kevin2

That is pretty much the exact set up!

Seems like it is working for several guys here on the Old Gobbler...

Quote from: FL-Boss on February 29, 2016, 02:56:42 PM
I love my SA-459 20ga.  Federal #7 ( or HEVI-13, #7) + Carlson choke = bad medicine.

davisd9

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on February 29, 2016, 03:44:37 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on February 29, 2016, 02:48:06 PM
Quote from: kevin2 on February 25, 2016, 07:38:40 PM
Thanks! NOW to find some good shells...

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on February 25, 2016, 07:35:09 PM
Sweet looking rig there buddy  :happy0064:

Roll your own TSS.

I'm assuming you roll your own loads? I've been thinking about doing this for a few years now but have never made the commitment. I load my own rifle and pistol rounds and from what I've read loading TSS is easier than loading other those.  I may need to pick your brain in the very near future if you'd be willing to help...

Nothing to it

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer