OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Patterned the 870 today. What yall think?

Started by 357MAGNOLE, February 20, 2016, 04:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

So it was really nice out today.  A little overcast, 63 degrees and a slight breeze. Gun was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol patches between shots and given time to cool. When I pattern, I figure its best to pattern the gun to the exact conditions I can control when in the field. That means I will head out with a bright and shiny cleaned bore and that first shot will be on a cool barrel. I sighted the gun in with the carlsons .575 choke.  So the POA/POI shifts a little for different chokes.  Overall not too much movement though.

I will post up the pictures from each chokes results(will also re-post in patterning section).  Each first picture will be a 25 yard pattern, then a 40 yard pattern.

I am pretty happy with the performance from the Carlson's .575 out of this setup with the Fed HW #7's.  I am having an internal debate on whether or not to even bother trying the Sumtoy after these results. Not sure how I can improve it to much without getting overly tight. 

Truglo SSX (This was the least impressive.  Looked super tight to the left side up close and then the pattern was over blown at 40)

25 Yards

40 Yards

Remington Super Full (This one was the in-between for me. Not bad by any stretch.)

25 Yards

40 Yards

Carlson's .575 (To me this was the best in terms of pattern and numbers at 25 and 40 yards. Might rip a head of at 15-25 yards)

25 Yards

40 Yards
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

jordanz7935

That'll work! I'd hunt with the Carlson's any day! Your gonna have a hard time beating 157 in the 10" and your not gonna gain a thing going for higher numbers than that.

BowBendr

My same gun didn't like the SSX either. Does good with a Trulock HW7 choke, but the best thing I ever did was buy a Carlsons .575, puts up the same patterns you posted. Loves a clean barrel.
I have absolutely wore the turkeys out with this combo. All ranges.....;)

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Jbird22

That Carlson's is gonna be tough to top! Great pattern!

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: BowBendr on February 20, 2016, 06:59:35 PM
My same gun didn't like the SSX either. Does good with a Trulock HW7 choke, but the best thing I ever did was buy a Carlsons .575, puts up the same patterns you posted. Loves a clean barrel.
I have absolutely wore the turkeys out with this combo. All ranges.....;)

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

That's what I love to hear.  I am pretty happy with this setup... I shot the same combo 4 times with matching results give a few pellets.  The 157 was the high, I also shot 143,149, and then 114... I didn't clean the barrel on the 114 shot.  Just to see how it did, some folks have said their gun shot better dirty.  Mine does not.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Eric Gregg

That's why we always need to pattern our shotguns and try different chokes and loads.
Not every shotgun, even though the same gauge, model, choke, and load will shoot the same.
Shoot whatever that gun likes and go wear out those gobblers this spring!
That Carlson's is working fine in that gun :fud:

Cleveland48

I got the Carlson .575 to try this year also in my 870. Gonna try to get out and pattern it Tm with HW7's. I have a Hastings.566 that was throwing mid 150's last year so I hoping this will do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gophert

Mid 150's is perfect IMO. 

Sent from my typewriter

Izzyjoe

Looks great, that'll do the job! I also like the nice even coverage on both sides, that's the kind of pattern I like to see.

owlhoot

Looks great , that carlsons 10"
Like the looks of the RSF too.
Either will do.
Wouldn't think any thing would do any better.