OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tat'r II vs Tat'r III Comparison

Started by Gobspur, February 18, 2016, 02:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobspur

I've seen a few topics on this in the past, so thought I would share a comparison.  Can't decide between Cabela's Tactical Tat'r II or Tat'r III, so I ordered both.  Will be sending one back.  One on left in the picture is Tatr II and one on right is Tatr III.

I like both.  My main concern with the III is all the black outlining on the vest; it really seems to stand out.  Anybody else think this is a problem?

The fit of both is comfortable.  Seat pad on the II is definitely thicker and firmer since it has memory form.  The II has an additional back pad in the upper, middle.  This feels a bit uncomfortable.

I like the additional pockets the II has, but the pot call pockets on the III are more user friendly.  I don't like having to fold down that large pocket on the II to get stuff out.  A complaint in the past was that the pot call pockets on the II were too small.  They are still small, but they seem to have enlarged them some. I fit all my pots in with minimal effort.

The striker holder pockets on the III are still deep, but not too bad.  Stuffing a little material in the holes should remedy that.  When I sit down, its really easy to get a pot and striker out in the III, but an effort in the II.

The game bag pocket on the back is the same size on both.  Water bottle holder on the III is a little larger than on the II.  But the II also has another larger pocket on the side opposite the bottle holder.  III doesn't have this.

I really find myself wanting the III, but wish it had a few more pockets, and all the black on it concerns me.  I like the II, but it feels a little more bulky and like I'm fittling a lot to get into those fold down pockets.  I wish I could combine the two vests lol.

What you all think?  Any more pros/cons you can think of?  Maybe I'll keep both.... ;D.  (also I have a Super elite and others, so just comparing between these two).

dejake

I have the II, and if I had to do it over again, I would get the III.  I listened to someone's advice about all of the "black".  Fact of the matter is, I usually set up in the shade, under a hemlock, etc.  In retrospect, the black wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Gobble!

I have had both. I also hate the black on the III but I think it could be bright pink and be ok, as long as you don't move its no issue. No issues with it last season. Still wish they would come out with bottomland. I like the fit of the III more. When I had the II it didn't have pockets for shells and I hated that, not sure if thats still the case or not. I thought for sure the seats were the same but I guess not. Either way I thought the III was great last season. I thought the back pad layout was better than the II when leaning on a tree. I like the pocket layout more as well. Really didn't like the pot call holders on the II. I wish the striker holders were deeper on the III, guess I just use long strikers.

jwhunter

I tried both on at cabelas and ended up going with the 2 b/c they make a small/medium. The 3 makes a medium/large. The black does not concern me on the vest. I like the fact that the 3 is lighter. It doesn't bother me that they do not have shell pockets. 3 in my gun and a box in my truck. If I can't make it happen in 3 tries then I need to go home

Snood Life

I compared them both and went with the III. Liked the pot call pocket better on it.

PALongspur

I used a II for a season two years ago. I liked the way it fit and was satisfied with the overall layout. I wasn't a fan of the "tactical" fold down pockets and the pot call pouches were a bear to use. I also hated the fact that there were no shell holders. I will say that sitting against a tree with it on, it was the most comfortable vest I've ever owned.

I picked up a III last month, I'm stoked to use it this year. Prior to purchasing the II a few years ago I felt like the III seemed cheaper made. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I like the pot call pockets way better and I think the water bottle pocket will also carry a longbox quite nicely. Oh and did I mention, SHELL LOOPS!!

grayfox

I ordered the Tat'r III first but sent it back & got the the Tat'r II. It wouldn't that I didn't like the III but the II just fit me better. I too didn't like the black trim on the III but that's just personal preference. I've been eyeing the Instinct because I like the way they reversed the pot call pockets & GPS pocket. Much more prefered that way. Also they added a call pocket on the top left chest that I like better. Right now they want waaaay to much for it so I'll have to save up some more Cabela's points or wait for it to go on sale after turkey season goes out.

GED6531

Which one has more pockets? When I say pockets I mean for pot and box calls. I usually carry 3-4 pot calls and 2 boxes. Is there room for that much in either vest?

tha bugman

Go with the III you will be happier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snood Life

Quote from: GED6531 on February 18, 2016, 08:26:53 PM
Which one has more pockets? When I say pockets I mean for pot and box calls. I usually carry 3-4 pot calls and 2 boxes. Is there room for that much in either vest?

Both only have one true box call holder and two pot call holders.

Gobspur

Quote from: GED6531 on February 18, 2016, 08:26:53 PM

In terms of specific pockets, they each have 1 box and 2 pot call pockets.  They each have other pockets you could fit more calls in, more so in the II than III.

I've loaded both up with all my gear about 5 times and I'm leaning towards the III.  I'm a smaller size and the II fits just a little bit better, but I can't get over the frustrating pot call pocket in the II.  In terms of the black trim on the III, I know its really no big deal as no movement is what's key.  Just personnel preference I guess.  I'm going to try loading the max gear that I would carry, and if I can fit everything in the III, go with that.

tha bugman

Not to muddy the water, but have you seen the new Alps turkey vest.  Those things were going like hot cakes at the convention.

Gobspur

Quote from: tha bugman on February 19, 2016, 02:47:28 PM
Not to muddy the water, but have you seen the new Alps turkey vest.  Those things were going like hot cakes at the convention.

I saw those.  Not sure I like the frame, but guess its removable.  How does the seat work on those, is it a snap release or magnets?  I can't tell.

deerhunt1988

I had one of the 'original' IIs and absolutely loved it! I'd tried numerous vests (Primos Gobbler, Ol' Tom, etc.) and the Tatr II topped them all. After three seasons it started tearing at a couple seams (lasted about as long as the other vests) so I contacted Cabela's. They sent me another, no hesitation!

BUT, when the new one came in, I noticed they had reduced the size of the pot call pouches. They were now WAY too small! I had to forcefully jam the calls into the pockets. I let them sit a few weeks, hoping it would stretch the pockets, but that didn't help. I took it to my sewing lady and she modified the pockets so normal sized pot calls can actually fit.

I guess they switched to cheaper production or something and it reduced the size of the pockets? I was ecstatic over Cabela's customer service, but a bit disappointed they had modified the vest. But considering I have a brand new vest ready for this turkey season, it was definitely money well spent!

Just a heads up to you guys thinking about the II.