Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Funny turkey stuff that you still laugh about

Started by FullChoke, February 18, 2016, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

For a number of years, I was the academic scholarship chairman for our local NWTF chapter here in Jackson. I loved awarding these bright young high school graduates at their awards ceremonies. One year, this particular high school had their ceremony at the local performing music theater in Jackson. On the stage, I gave my usual spiel and announced the winner. He happened to be sitting right in the middle of the row of seats, so it took him a little while to make his way to the stage. While I was standing there, leaning on the podium, someone in the audience started yelping. Without a moments thought, I broke into a loud double gobble right back at them. The place went to pieces.

What would you expect from a turkey hunter?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

Norm
This wasn't funny at the time, but looking at it now I can say is was one of the funniest things I have done turkey hunting.
I was getting my stuff out of my truck one cool morning and I had my hoot owl call in my hand. I was trying to put my vest on so instead of placing the call in my vest I rednecked it and dropped it on the ground.
I picked it back up, made a couple of yards down the gravel road and decided to give it blast. The most awful taste hit my mouth, and I soon recognized that I had dropped my hoot owl call into an ant bed and then blew about 50 of them out of my call :-X
That wasn't real fun

FullChoke

I was working a Women in the Outdoors event in central MS where Preston Pittman was the celebrity speaker that day. I was sitting with our hostess and several of her friends. One of the other girls was from a well-to-do family and had spent much of her young adult life traveling the world having great adventures. She was a very confident and sassy sort of young lady.

Preston was in fine form that afternoon being surrounded by all those attentive women hanging on his every word. He was introducing them to various components associated with turkey hunting such as guns, vests, camo and turkey calls. He was running down the list of different types of calls such as a box call, a trumpet, a slate and a mouth call. He said "This is a mouth call or a diaphragm call. Now remember ladies, this diaphragm goes in your mouth."   The whole place groaned and shifted uncomfortably except for the Adventure Girl. She sat back in her chair and looking at no one in particular, chuckled and said "Right. You call turkeys your way dude and I'll call them mine."

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.