Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone patterned the Federal Prairie 3" #6's?

Started by 357MAGNOLE, February 15, 2016, 01:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

I am interested to see what these are going to do, unfortunately for me about 7" of snow has dropped the last 12 hours and I think it will be a while before I get to try these out.

I started doing some scouting in the areas I intend to hunt, and did hunt last year. Somehow I managed to forget that there will be almost no 30+ yard shots, with most being in the 15-25 yard range.  The only shots over 30 yards available will be if I set up on the edge of a power line run.  The main one I have access to is about 400 yards long and 40 yards wide, but the birds don't seem to go out in the open too much.

So I am thinking about loading up my first shot with these Prairie upland loads, backed with a couple Heavy Weight #7.  Then carrying some #7's in my vest in case I spot some birds in the field.

Either way, I still need to get out and pattern mine with the choke combos I picked up.  It will be a little while, probably another month unfortunately.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

tree-rat sniper

I bought a box a couple of weekends ago but I'm in the same boat waiting for the weather to warm up a bit.  A friend uses them out of his 26" 20 ga Nova & is pretty happy.  He uses them for pheasants and turkeys.  I don't think he's much of a pattern testing guy, but uses the Benelli factory full for turkeys.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

357MAGNOLE

Well I'll have a gauntlet of Chokes to try out.

Truglo SSX
Remington Super Full
Carlsons 575
And a Sumtoy if I ever hear back from them, they must stay busy.

I'm gonna find which choke works the best between the two loads and stick with it. Pretty excited to get the ball rolling.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

cluck

357mag.      I was reading your post and noticed you tried the rem super full choke with fed hw 7s. I have the same choke. Mine says for lead shot only. Would you know if mine could be used for fed hw 7s. Some of the older super fulls say hevi shot approved. Can you tell me anything about these chokes? Many thanks,  cluck

357MAGNOLE

Couldn't tell you too much. I put 5 shots through it, still looks brand new and functioned fine. I have read not to use it once.  Nothing like the IC ported chokes though where near everyone will tell you not to use it.  If you haven't already gotten the RSF look into the Carlsons .575

About the same price, and seems to give about the best results with the Federal HW #7's

cluck

357mag.  Many thanks and shoot a big tom this year!!!