turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli Nova w/ Carlson's .650 and Win long beard #6

Started by burke0428, February 12, 2016, 09:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burke0428

Tried out a Carlson's long beard .650 choke with the winchester long beard shells. In the past i have gotten some decent numbers but usually in the 150s. This one is by far the best I have seen out of my gun. Does anyone have a problem with this setup at closer range 20-30 yards?

dzsmith

no to bust your bubble as that is plenty good enough to kill a turkey .....but you should expect a lot more than that out of a 3.5" shell. I shoot 3" longbeard #6s with a .655 choke and im getting the same and better #s than that. just throwing that out there being honest
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

dzsmith

I think it should be much closer to 300 pellets if not a tad over. you are shooting the 2oz loads which would slow it down, so that might be why. but congrats on improving your pattern. whole lot better than 150. them longbeards are pretty sweet

burke0428

wow, thats crazy. I need to keep trying a few different chokes to see what works best. That was a big improvement for my gun. I have found that 6s work best out of my gun. All my patterns, shooting a #6 always have better patterns and stay pretty tight. I have tried the carlson's and a cheap primo tight wad. I dont see many people shooting Novas on here, but choke suggestions and pattern pics are welcome. I am thinking about ordering a sumtoy customs in the very near future.

WV Ridge Reaper

Try ya a IC 665

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burke0428

how does the indian creek 665 do with #5 and #6 shot? Have any pattern pictures out of a nova? I have searched for good patterns out of a nova and cant find much.

WV Ridge Reaper

Not from a nova but my m2 3 inch does 180-200 with LB 6s

bowbird87

I may be wrong, but I've never heard of anyone getting 300+ out of the longbeards. That's a nice pattern. Good luck!!

dzsmith

that's what im shooting, a .655 sumtoy. was shooting a primos jellyhead...which is a great choke also. id think the jellyhead would probably throw a better circle than the carlsons and I know it should throw a better than the tightwad

mikeyfuzz

This is 40 yards off hand with Benelli supernova with an IC .665 long beard 3" #6 shot

backwater

I use a Jellyhead out of my Nova but don't have any experience with the long beard ammo...I use Hevi Shot.   

lowoctane

Quote from: burke0428 on February 12, 2016, 09:27:42 AM
Tried out a Carlson's long beard .650 choke with the winchester long beard shells. In the past i have gotten some decent numbers but usually in the 150s. This one is by far the best I have seen out of my gun. Does anyone have a problem with this setup at closer range 20-30 yards?
:morning:
I think the 2oz load is too much for that small of choke. Have you tried the 3" LB in 6? Pellet count is great but so is uniformity of pattern. I'm sure at closer targets this set up is extremely narrow..  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

spurs1989

I shoot a sumtoy.665 with long beard #6 3 1/2 2 oz loads out of my super nova at 40 yrds it averages between 238 and 255 but at 20 it blows a half dollar size hole not much margin for air at close range