Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Welcome and Get to know each other

Started by jepcho, February 06, 2016, 09:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILHUNTER

My name is Tony.  I live in central Illinois and in my we have only had a descent amount of turkeys for about the last 10 yrs and I have been hunting them for about the last 8 yrs.  My wife, my son and me all get landowners permits to chase the turkeys so instead of getting a permit and only having 5 to 7 days to kill one we get the entire 5 weeks, I usually get a 4th season permit also so I can get 2 if the turkey numbers are good that year.  I mainly hunt the weekends, but if they are talking good before I go to work I have been known to call in late.  In Illinois we have to quite hunting turkeys at 1:00 pm, and I have killed one at 12:58 before.

My wife has never gotten turkey, she usually only goes a few times with me to try and if it wasn't for a tree last year she prob. would have gotten a nice one.  My boy got his first last year and he is hooked and ready to go again this year.  He will be out for our youth season, then also the full season.

My go to gun has been an old Remington 870 express, with a truglo ssx .643 choke shooting magnum blends.  It's been a good shooting gun just had to adjust the POI with some adjustable sights when I went with the SSX choke.  Got an Indian Creek choke that im going to test in it in weather permits.

Also been debating on getting another gun so me and my wife can both have one and been looking towards the Mossberg 935 but not sure yet.

My son used a borrowed gun last year, a Mossberg 500 youth model, but this year I got him a youth model Remington 870 20 gauge and also waiting on the weather to get it patterned for him.  Hope to be shooting magnum blends in it also if not, will prob go with Federal HW #7.

I think this will be a good year for all of us and I'm glad to be on this team and lets go bust some beards..

Big perm2

Mississippi starts March 19

Talkem into given up!!!

jepcho

I'll start hunting here in Iowa on April 9th taking my little brothers for youth season, then probably take my dad during 1st season in iowa. I'll start hunting and carrying a gun for myself on April 23rd in Oklahoma.

Big perm2

I have a rob Roberts slate call, I love the sound it puts out.. Any ideas on another good slate call?

Talkem into given up!!!

357MAGNOLE

I love my Crystal Mistress from David Halloran matched up with a Jatoba one piece striker from Savduck.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Big perm2

Is there a web sit for them?

Talkem into given up!!!

357MAGNOLE

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Big perm2

Thanks bro!!

Talkem into given up!!!

jepcho

I have heard a lot of good things about Halloran calls, although I have never ran one myself.  I think Kevin Farr, who owns Pecker Wrecker turkey calls, makes some really good pot calls.  I know I love mine.  I cant wait to receive my Lonnie Sneed slate call that should be on its way.  Honestly have heard more good about his calls than probably any others on this site.  I am really excited for it to arrive, I'll let everyone here know what I think when it comes in.

Bottom line, there is a lot of really good call makers out there.  A lot more than I can afford to have one from each, but no harm in trying. ;)

Big perm2

I wouldn't mind having 3 or 4 slates keep the opinions coming

Talkem into given up!!!

jepcho

Also, I just recently got a Mike Yingling Copper pot call which I absolutely love.  The copper is kind of a different sound, but I think it sounds awesome.  He sells his calls on the pot call classifieds section on this forum a lot of times.  And his calls look amazing too!

357MAGNOLE

I had a Kaiser copper call.... Worst possible first call to learn on. Very hard to play, I gave it to a friend and he brought it by a few days ago and I still can barely play it now.  I can run the Crystal Mistress pretty well, but that copper call is impossible for me to run well.

Hunter1979

I've got both the Sneed slate and glass. They're solid calls.  Very easy to play and they sound great.  I picked up a Crystal Mistress last year after season, and I'm excited to see how the turkeys respond to it. I think I like it the best out of all my calls.  I also picked up a Woodhaven Crystal Vision the other day at Cabelas. I haven't got to play with it much, but I still think I prefer the Halloran.  Another call that I have, but you don't hear a lot about, is a Bully's pot call. It's the loudest out of any of my calls, I've pulled gobblers pretty far with it.

tomstopper

Quote from: Big perm2 on February 09, 2016, 07:31:15 PM
I have a rob Roberts slate call, I love the sound it puts out.. Any ideas on another good slate call?

Talkem into given up!!!
Lights Out Custom Calls Ambrosia Maple by Wendell Rye. This call is my go to call and it wont break the bank either.....

http://lightsoutcalls.com/products/slatecalls.html

davisd9

Quote from: tomstopper on February 10, 2016, 06:53:57 AM
Quote from: Big perm2 on February 09, 2016, 07:31:15 PM

Talkem into given up!!!
Lights Out Custom Calls Ambrosia Maple by Wendell Rye. This call is my go to call and it wont break the bank either.....

http://lightsoutcalls.com/products/slatecalls.html

You are doing yourself a favor to purchase one of Mr. Rye's Cedar strikers for any slate you buy or already own.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer