Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Welcome and Get to know each other

Started by jepcho, February 06, 2016, 09:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmn2

Just put in an order for a box of the new triple beard loads to pattern as well. Should be here in the next few days. 3.5" 2.25 oz of 5,6,7. i want to see how they shoot out of my gun alongside the longbeard xr.

Hunter1979

3.5" Longbeard XR 2oz #5.  Great pattern at 40yds...a little tight at 10yds out of my Benelli Supernova with the XR choke.

wmn2

I'm going to try the xr's in 5 and 6 as well. I'm shooting the same choke, hoping for that kind of pattern.

357MAGNOLE

I really liked the XR #6's out of my 12 gauge with an Indian Creek .665

I am working on a 20 gauge build right now, hoping for something that will drop a nice even pattern in the 150-175 range and not be TOO tight for those sub 20 yard shots. I probably have a full month before I even have everything assembled and ready to start patterning.

Oh I forgot this thread was for introductions.

My name is Chris, I am from Florida but I currently reside in the North Eastern portion of Virginia pretty close to the DC area. I am active duty Navy, about to hit my 10 year mark in the service. I have 2 young boy's 4 & 6 that give me and my wife a run for our money every day.  :help:

I will have somewhat limited opportunities this season as hunting on base is held to Saturday's only but I look to make the best of it and find some other opportunities in the area.  This is only my second season hunting Turkey and I am basically completely self taught.  My Dad was not much for hunting outside of Squirrel when he was younger.  Last year I thought it seemed like fun, and after working my first Tom to about 50 yards and him letting loose a thundering gobble right in front of me I was totally hooked. So I am looking to build upon that this year.

I am an avid football fan, both college (FSU) and pro (Tampa Bay) and now that football season is officially over I am fully back to concentrating on Turkey season. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

wmn2

Chris, what's your MOS? Are you a 1st class or Chief? I was in the Marine Corps for 6 years. I was a mortarman. Spent 4 months with the USS Harpers Ferry on a Pac float. I'm new as well and just hoping I can get one to respond. lol. I'm taking the first legal turkey that comes my way probably. Then build on that.

357MAGNOLE

Nothing wrong with that brother.  That was my goal last year and if I was calmer I would have dropped a very nice first tom.  I got a little too excited and moved to fast and old dude slip.  Just remember, its not about calling loudly.  Early morning all nice and soft.

I am a first class right now. So E6.  I wont be up for Chief until next year.  Glad to have some brothers on here with me! My rating is FC (Fire Controlman) Not to be confused with a fire fighter.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Big perm2

Turkey hunting is a live and learn type deal. Thanks to both of you for what yall do for this country and God bless!!

Talkem into given up!!!

wmn2

Definitely not a fire fighter. Great to have you on the team. I got out as a Sergeant. Perm, no problem, honestly probably 6 of the best years of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jepcho

Yes, definitely a huge thank you to you guys that have/are serving.

I'm shooting hevishot 3.5" magnum blends with a hevishot choke tube in my Remington 1187.  It patterns awesome! I'll post some pics when I get out and shoot it again.

kdsberman

I'd like to try a Truglo SSX .670 shooting Hevi 7's.   After being involved in a lot of discussions on OG I've really gained an interested in patterning different shells/chokes and this setup seems to have a great number of good reviews.  Problem is, my setup has NEVER missed a bird, so i doubt ill really be gaining anything.  Those 7's sure put up some wicked numbers though.

Did I read someone on this team starts their season in March??

tomstopper

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 08, 2016, 08:28:29 AM
Nothing wrong with that brother.  That was my goal last year and if I was calmer I would have dropped a very nice first tom.  I got a little too excited and moved to fast and old dude slip.  Just remember, its not about calling loudly.  Early morning all nice and soft.

I am a first class right now. So E6.  I wont be up for Chief until next year.  Glad to have some brothers on here with me! My rating is FC (Fire Controlman) Not to be confused with a fire fighter.
357Magnole & wmn2: We have even more in common. I was in the Marines and got out in 2003 (My MOS was 1812, M1A1 Tank Gunner). I served in Iraq and was stopped loss for an extra 3months. I will say that minus the hell of Iraq, I miss being in everyday.

wmn2

Quote from: kdsberman on February 08, 2016, 09:44:40 PM
I'd like to try a Truglo SSX .670 shooting Hevi 7's.   After being involved in a lot of discussions on OG I've really gained an interested in patterning different shells/chokes and this setup seems to have a great number of good reviews.  Problem is, my setup has NEVER missed a bird, so i doubt ill really be gaining anything.  Those 7's sure put up some wicked numbers though.

I'm still trying to find some private land to hunt. If i do, my season will start Mar 15th. If not, I'm at April 1st.

kdsberman

Quote from: wmn2 on February 08, 2016, 11:09:58 PM
Quote from: kdsberman on February 08, 2016, 09:44:40 PM

I'm still trying to find some private land to hunt. If i do, my season will start Mar 15th. If not, I'm at April 1st.

What state? 

wmn2

South carolina

WNCTracker

Gotta love SC. Last year I got 2 the week of Easter. Hope I still have access this year...