Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Welcome and Get to know each other

Started by jepcho, February 06, 2016, 09:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jepcho

Hey guys, I know we all kinda talked through PM's but thought I'd start a topic for us to tell a little about ourselves and our turkey hunting experience and where we are hunting this year.

I'll start off, my name is Joel and I'm from Iowa.  I thought it was funny some of us were saying our name should be the baby makers because I have 5 kids under the age of 9 (two of those being step kids which to me, they are my kids).  I will turn 30 this spring and have been turkey hunting since 2000, so this will be my 17th season.  I consider myself a true turkey hunter, being that spring turkey hunting is absolutely my favorite activity to do and by far favorite thing to hunt.  I've hunted and killed turkeys in Iowa, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska.  This year I have a trip to Oklahoma planned that I am super excited about.  I also had plans to go back to Kansas but looks like that fell through, so most likely I'll be hunting in just Oklahoma and Iowa this year although I might try and get to Missouri, time will tell on that.  Anyways, welcome all to the team, I am excited to get to know each other and share our experiences throughout the spring.

WNCTracker

My name is John, not real creative on the user name. Grew up in Pennsylvania hunting fall turkey only. I was never allowed by my father to hunt spring gobbler after a guy shot at him through a brush pile so I spent my springs trout fishing instead. I'm a self-taught gobbler Hunter and wouldn't have it any other way.

I have lived in Western  North Carolina the last 17 years and have three kids who are too young to hunt but are ready as soon as I say so.  They are my scouts. I also hunt on the coast of South Carolina. Deer fills my freezer and family's bellies but there's no comparison chasing gobblers. I only use slates and mouth calls out of habit but lately just the diaphragms.

Honolua

Cool how they give us our own page etc...

I am Chris. I am blessed to be able to hunt every day of deer and turkey which keeps me busy for about half the year. I grew up hunting and fishing around Myrtle Beach, S.C. I moved to Hawaii when I was 25 and stayed there for 17 years. I still have a house there that is rented out.  A lot of people don't know Hawaii has great hunting: Mouflon Sheep, Axis Deer, Wild Goats, Turkey, and great Upland Hunting as well.

I live in Alabama now and hunt on completely on about 200 acres at my house that backs up on 1,500 acres. God willing I will get a bird or two but will not limit out. I will mix it up between bow and shotgun.

Our Turkeys here are really quiet the last few years. Last year they were gobbling for the 1st 2 weeks and then went silent. Our season starts March 15th and goes to the end of May.

I actually love turkey hunting more than deer hunting. My favorite calls are a Tony Reynolds Lil Jenny Box, Woodhaven Toxic Orange Mouth Call, Tony Reynolds Carolina Assassin.

I talked to Lonnie Sneed Sr. and am excited to be getting a Hot Hen Slate soon.

Gumby

Hey guys, my name is Matt.  Im 36yo and live in Conway, AR. I have two daughters (Kai age 8 and Evie age 6) that take up most my time. I was born and raised here and started hunting turkeys with my father years ago. I hunted them hard as a kid then took a break due to school and living in areas where I didn't have access. Been back on them hard for the past 10 years. Turkey hunting here in Arkansas is very tough due to a poor population recently. Our season is pushed way back to April 15. That's a late start for down south. I usually am lucky enough to get one Arkansas public land bird. I'll be heading to Kansas in early May and will have a couple birds from there for sure. I hunt primarily with mouth calls and trumpets. I pull out the pot calls on windy days. Excited for a new season and best wishes and best of luck to you all.

On a side note: Chris, where is your house is Hawaii? A lot of my wife's family lived in Lahaina forever until a recent move.

Flounder

Hello to my Team! My name is Marlon. I live in a farming community in SE North Carolina called Ash.
Been hunting turkeys ever since we had a season over 15 years. I'm truly blessed to have many farms to hunt and have always been able to scratch out my limit of Longbeards.
Married and have grown kids. Iv work in local government for nearly 20 years.
I'm looking forward in celebrating this win! Together as one,we can do it!
Go Panthers!!

wmn2

My name is Bill. I live in upstate SC and will only be in SC this year, but may add Georgia next year (I live about 20 minutes from the border.) I'm a production supervisor at an automotive supplier, which takes up a lot of my time, but I do get 5 days off every 3 weeks and 2 days the other weeks, so I get time to hunt pretty regularly.

On top of work, I've been married to my wife for almost 8 years, we have 4 kids, a 7 year old boy, 5 and 3 year old girls, and a 3 month old boy, so you can imagine my time is stretched thin, but wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm brand new to turkey hunting so I will say that bow hunting whitetails is my passion (though that could always change.)

I grew up in Ohio, lived in Michigan for 2.5 years, and then relocated here so I've hunted my fair share of different terrains and places. Looking forward to trying to get my first turkey this spring.

Hunter1979

Hello,
My name's Lucas. I've got an almost 2 year old son, and another due in June, so I've been keeping busy. I live in southern Michigan at Devils Lake.  Been turkey hunting for a while now, usually end up pulling the trigger within the first hour of opening weekend.  Already itching to go out this year. Want to take a nice one out with the bow this year, so I'm probably going to be a little picky this season. Already pulled some of my calls out, I think I'll be running a Crystal Mistress, Lonnie Sneed Outlaw Hen glass and Hot Hen slate, and a Yingling copper. I've also got a Woodhaven Vision Crystal I just picked up, and a few new mouth calls.  I can't wait to put out some trail cams in about a month to see what's out there!

wmn2

I'll be running a Ryan bonjour slate over glass with Purple Heart and cherry strikers. Also a primos jackpot glass call. I will also havea primos mini sonic dome mouth call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmn2

jepcho

I'll post pictures of some of my calls later, but I'll tell you some of what I'll be running this year. I love my spring creek box call, enough that I also purchased a spring creek scratch box. I recently got a yingling copper pot call, also run pecker wrecker pot calls and have a Lonnie Sneed slate call ordered. Also just ordered a custom trough call that I'm really excited to get. And when it comes to diaphragm calls, you won't catch me in the woods without hooks mouth calls. I'll need to get some more of those ordered soon.

wmn2

I've been looking at hooks as well. What guns and ammo is everyone going to run? I just finished up an sxp turkey and looking to shoot longbeard xr #5 or the new triple beard by hevi shot. Going to pattern in the next week or so.

Big perm2

Hello fellows my name is Jason Pyron, I live and hunt north central Mississippi and south central Missouri.  I've been turkey hunting ever  since I was 5 and been killing them since I was 8. I shoot a bps 10 ga. Nitro mega weight 4x5x7 only have about 5 more of those, guess I got to go back to nitro hevi shot after that. I love to bow hunt and duck hunt but that just gets me through till turkey season lol!! I'm glad to be on y'all's team i hope we win!! Fell free to message me at any time!!

Talkem into given up!!!

tomstopper

Hey fellas. My name is Nick Heffner. I am from PA and now live in NY (20min from the PA border). I have served in the Marines and am now a Senior Research Technician for a large glass company. I have been married for 14 years and have two great daughters ages 8 & 10. I have been hunting turkey's for about 20 years and am getting to the point where that is all I really care to hunt a lot (do like to hunt pheasants and coyotes). I look forward to being on this team and getting to know all of you.

Big perm2

kdsberman

Hey guys, my name is Kraig.  28 years old and I live and hunt in Michigan.   

Turkey hunting is my passion, but also love to deer hunt, ice fish, shoot pistols, archery, and play guitar.  Also a huge Detroit Lions fan.

Have a 7 month old so this turkey season will add another challenge.

My weapon of choice is a Mossberg 835 with a Jellyhead choke shooting Nitro H517 4x5x7.

For calls I use a custom slate call I made a few years ago, but primarily use mouth calls.  Mostly Woodhaven Red Wasp and Hooks Executioner 2, the Hooks being my favorite.

In Michigan it's a one bird limit.  Where I hunt is somewhat challenging.  They roost several hundred yards south of my property and it's pretty tough getting them over to me.  But this has made me that much better at turkey hunting.  I've hunted turkeys since 2000 and there's only been a couple years where I ate tag soup.  Usually I put every single bit of effort into getting a bird.  Two years ago I scored on a 28#, by far my best bird.

Glad to compete in this contest with you guys.  Should be fun.