turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scope question

Started by T-town, March 29, 2011, 08:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-town

While rambling through some of my old hunting "stuff" I came upon an old 1 3/4  X  5  Redfield Widefield scope that Dad bought back in the mid 70's for a .243. It has long been replaced by a 3x9. My question is this: is there anything inherent about Redfields made in the 70's that dictate it should not be mounted on a 12 gauge shooting 3.5" magnums?

What about 3" mags?

Since posting the Q I've done some surfing. Looks like it's been used on a lot of 30-06 and bigger rifle calibers. However, the only shotgun reference I saw was someone asking where they could get the  scope repaired after the crossshairs broke while shooting it on a shotgun. Did not state type load and number of rounds fired. Does this help anyone form an opinion?

Thanks guys

cannonball

My first scope was a Redfield that my Dad bought for me back in 1981. I had it mounted on a 30-30 Winchester on a side mount. Being 10 years old, I beat the heck out of that scope dragging it around in the deer woods and never had a problem with it. I know the old Redfields were good scopes, I would give it a try.

Hognutz

Putting a rifle scope on a turkey gun may present a focus problem, at close ranges. Make sure you look through it at 10 and 20 yards to make sure it is not blurry. That is a great scope, by the way. I own one myself. Mine is probably 35 -37 years old. Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

hawk

Eye relief....make sure you have lots of it.

bencattin

The first scope I put on my H&R 12 ga was a 4 power Tasco that I got in 1975. It lasted about 3 seasons and then fell apart inside. The recoil from the 3 inch mags with 2 oz shot did it in.  I use a shotgun scope now and so far so good.
IF TURKEYS COULD SMELL WE WOULD NEVER KILL ONE!

Hognutz

Those old Redfields were put together much better than the Tasco's. Tasco is pretty much the bottom of the line.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

T-town

I appreciate the insight. After setting it up on the gun and evaluating the eye relief, I believe that if I scope a shotgun, I'm going to go with one designed for shotguns. It's been a while since I've been hit between the eyes, and while I wouldn't be suprised if it happens again before I give up hunting, I don't want it to be with a 3.5" magnum. And this setup looks like it would do the trick.  My son's all grown up and moved off with a bunch of our guns, so I've been thinking about a new .22. That old Redfield would be perfect...

davisd9

Try a Simmons Pro-diamond 4 x 32mm.  Just mounted one on my 835 and it is clear and plenty of eye relief.  They are very reasonably priced.  There is also one with an adjustable magnification, but I like the fixed better.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer