OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 Youth build (any info will help)

Started by 357MAGNOLE, January 28, 2016, 09:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Alright,

I think tomorrow morning I am going to pick up an 870 youth from my local wally world.

Start hitting me up with good information for it.

I am getting the sure shot stock kit. Going to paint the gun myself most likely although I am considering a hydro dip in a mossy oak bottom land pattern.

I have no clue where to start on chokes. Is there one that runs good in all of these short barreled 870's? I love the Indian Creeks, so if they do a good job with Federal heavies, and/or TSS then let me know, and what constriction.

Any weak points that need addressing?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

davisd9

What sight you wanting to use?

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

357MAGNOLE

Planning a drill/tap and either a red dot or a quality scope with low magnification
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

MK M GOBL

Sure do like a scope! I have a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.75-4x 32mm
731432 (Black) , 731432AP (Camo)

Over 20 years and more than 125 birds down and never failed me, plus when in close and in the "Circle of Death" bird is done for. Have made many moving shots too. Critical with a tight choke and up close to be right on and batteries don't go dead on crosshairs.

MK M GOBL

http://bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scopes/trophy-xlt/1-75-4x-32mm-matte-black-circle-x-reticle

357MAGNOLE

I like that. What kind of rings did you use?

dirt road ninja

The Feds require a non ported choke tube. I'd start with the Remington Super Full.

dirt road ninja

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 28, 2016, 09:58:50 PM
I'm a fan of rattle can paint jobs!

I recently seen someone that did a really nice job with a digi sponge camo.  Looked great. But I also do love that bottomland camo! Hard choices.

BowBendr

I bought one 3 years ago after reading all the post about the 20's...had to have one.
Got black/synthetic model because it was all I could find. I wanted wood.

First, you will have to paint or dip it because the matte bluing stinks and it will rust. I had my whole gun and a FF2 guard dipped in obsession at Camo Solutions, did a great job.

I had the gun D&T'd for the 336/FF2 base by my local gunsmith, I did a trigger job and barrel polish to it myself.

Started off with the Fed. 3"-7's thru a Trulock choke (.560), the patterns were high in numbers and really tight...too tight.
Switched to the Carlsons .575 non-ported and haven't looked back. Very consistent patterns, good pellet count in 10", gives me a good blend of both wiggle room/fudge factor. Very pleased.
The gun did not like the SSX choke at all and likes to be shot on a fairly clean barrel.

I originally bought the gun to trick it out and shoot TSS, but after doing all the tricks there was no need for the 18g/cc stuff, the HW 7's will do everything I need them to do. I've shot several toms with it since I got it, at ranges from 12 yds in NC to a bird in KY last year that amazed me when I walked it off to go pick him up......

Greg Massey

Get you this mount off amazon : B square remington 870 20 ga. express LT shotgun saddle style mount, matte black finish it comes with scope mounts and you can still see your iron sights. That's why i didn't have it drilled i wanted to be able to see my iron sight's also.  I mounted a simmons pro diamond scope on this and it's sweet shooting... look at a Trulock tube for it go to the website.. if you don't like the choke they will in the first 60 day's exchange or refund your money.   

Greg Massey

Also trying to drill and tap rails and mounts on the youth 20 is a little hard to do because it's not that thick on the top..especially on the express..

jordanz7935

Great choice.Go with Fed Hwt #7s, sumtoy 562-5,trulock HW7,Carlson .575, rsf 572, Jebs 560. All those chokes should get u where you want pattern wise, 130-170 in the 10" @ 40.I have mine d&t'd with a red dot.hundreds of thousands of 870 expresses have been d&t'd,IMO that's the only way to mount optics on a turkey gun(I personally hate saddle mounts). I'd also recommend the Bushnell trs25 and vortex SPARC 2 red dots.Great sights for the money. Last but not least, patriot sear spring to lighten trigger pull($10).
Let us know how she shoots and good luck with it this season.$250 is a a steal for that gun... Is wally world having a sale or is it on clearance?

davisd9

If you have not bought a scope then look at the Simmons Pro-Diamond.

Sent from the Strut Zone