OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A Pattern without a Doughnut

Started by jshively, March 29, 2011, 02:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshively

Been trying to find a load for my daughter to use for turkey.  I have a Remington 1100 20 gauge that I used as a kid that is limited to 2 3/4 shells.  With a Tightwad choke - I kept running into patterns with an empty spot in the center.  I was trying to stay with #4 remington and winchester loads - but nothing that I felt confident with her shooting at a turkey.  Today I tried the Remington Express Long Range in #6 and was might impressed.  At 25 yards it evenly and completely filled an 8 inch circle.  At a velocity of 1220 fps and 1 oz of shot, it should be a bonafide turkey killer.  I have set a 25 yard limit for her (that is what she has been practicing for) so inside that she should be set.  Better late than not - her youth hunt is this Saturday.

SumToy

Most of the time the hole in pattern is from the wad blowing the middle of it out.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

shootumindaface

Try the Federal 2 3/4 inch #7 Heavyweights

jshively

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 29, 2011, 02:52:11 PM

Just looked them up - they do sound pretty awesome.  Thanks for the heads up.

shootumindaface

Quote from: jshively on March 29, 2011, 02:57:48 PM
Quote from: shootumindaface on March 29, 2011, 02:52:11 PM

Just looked them up - they do sound pretty awesome.  Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah and if what Sum Toy is saying is correct and the choke is not properly pulling the wad off the shot string, the Flite control wad will do that for you..

With the Fed 2 3/4 7s, a full choke at 25-30 yards will probably be awesome

sugarray

My thoughts as with Tom,

you will get a good 30 yd pattern too.  If she can shoot that far.  I am shooting a Rem 870 20 gauge with a Hastings .562 and the Federal 1.5 oz #7, 3" shell.  My son, 6, is smoking at 20 yds and hope to try at 30 yds this coming weekend.  We'll see what his range gets to be.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

dpowers311

Quote from: SumToy on March 29, 2011, 02:21:14 PM
Most of the time the hole in pattern is from the wad blowing the middle of it out.

If that is what is happening what can be done to correct?

Dave

SumToy

Quote from: dpowers311 on March 29, 2011, 06:31:05 PM
Quote from: SumToy on March 29, 2011, 02:21:14 PM

If that is what is happening what can be done to correct?

Dave
You need to get the shoot out of the cup/wad as fast as you can.  That will let it fly along with out doing some it should not.  You get one or two shot to bounce off each other then they all start to. lol
That is why the guys put ports in some chokes.  They help but not a good fix.  The steps that you see in chokes is the best way to tune a choke.   Tune the steps to the wad that is in the shell you plan to shoot.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA