turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Two-Sided Calls

Started by Jgarrett, January 14, 2016, 11:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jgarrett

Hey guys, as a few of you know on here, I am a big fan of 2-sided calls, so I thought I would just post my current favorites.  The Roberts Brothers wormy chestnut was the first 2 sided pot that I owned, and it is a real killer with the purpleheart striker.  The other calls are a Ed Jenkins Osage with a padauk striker, Pat Strawser Blue Deuce with his 2 piece purpleheart striker, Glen Marrer heart pine that was custom made for me off our farm with a maple striker, Bill Lyman "deadly double" made out of bocote with a dymondwood striker, and last but definitely not least is my Brad Roberts red cedar with a snakewood, macassar ebony, purpleheart and dymondwood strikers.  Everyone of these calls are as versatile as can be.  You can soft-talk them, and also really get loud, especially with the blue deuce.  Just seeing what everyone's thoughts were on 2 sided calls in general.  Hope ya'll like them.

John
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

Smooth_Operator

The Roberts Bros wormy chestnut was also my first two sider, great pot, many turkey have died coming to that call...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

mgm1955

paboxcall

Nice collection you got there!  My very first pot call was a Tuscarora Legend glass over slate two side pot call.  That call has resulted in a bunch of roasted birds over the years!  I really like the versatility a two sided pot call gives you.   :icon_thumright:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Jgarrett

Quote from: paboxcall on January 14, 2016, 08:03:36 PM
Nice collection you got there!  My very first pot call was a Tuscarora Legend glass over slate two side pot call.  That call has resulted in a bunch of roasted birds over the years!  I really like the versatility a two sided pot call gives you.   :icon_thumright:
I feel th same way, you can take one of those calls and a couple strikers and that's all you need
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

Gobbleandgrunt

I've got a couple. One is an old Glenn marrer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brantleyville

Nice calls John. Is the Brad Roberts Cedar a slate over slate? If so, how do you like it?

Jgarrett

Quote from: Brantleyville on January 15, 2016, 02:59:56 PM
Nice calls John. Is the Brad Roberts Cedar a slate over slate? If so, how do you like it?

Yes, it is a red cedar slate/slate....and you know when I ordered it, I was thinking...well what is the point of having a double slate...but Brad convinced me, and I was shocked at how versatile and different the 2 sides sound.  The larger side is definitely higher pitched and you can get down on it, similar to a glass call, but obviously with a softer tone, and the bottom part of the call purrs as good as any other.  I play that call mainly with his dymondwood and macassar ebony, but I also have a snakewood and purpleheart that it pairs with very well.  PM me your cell phone number, and I will try and text you a soundfile this weekend, if I can.  Highly recommended.

John
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

Footballer

Bumping this topic. I fell in love with my Jenkins Osage glass this spring and don't know why I haven't used these calls more. I ordered a Cocobolo crystal from Ed and I'm trying to get my hands on a Strawser blue duece

wvmntnhick

Mike Yingling (he'll elk you it's not a true 2 sider) makes a good one. The slate on back only has a very small access but man does it make some nice tree yelps, awesome purrs and some sweet low clucks. I'm a fan of his stuff and I'm sure many have noticed. It's great quality and the sound is better. I've only got one and it's crystal over slate. Let a friend play it a couple weeks ago and Mike's going to be getting an order soon enough I'm sure.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Footballer on May 16, 2016, 09:44:52 PM
Bumping this topic. I fell in love with my Jenkins Osage glass this spring and don't know why I haven't used these calls more. I ordered a Cocobolo crystal from Ed and I'm trying to get my hands on a Strawser blue duece

Super nice collection of Doubles. You and me both on the blue deuce. I've tried and tried getting a hold of him,dang near have given up. Is he just teasing us with them or what? Lol...

Footballer

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 17, 2016, 01:06:17 AM

Super nice collection of Doubles. You and me both on the blue deuce. I've tried and tried getting a hold of him,dang near have given up. Is he just teasing us with them or what? Lol...

Good question! I don't know how to get a hold of the guy!

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: MDTOM84 on May 17, 2016, 10:08:59 AM
Message Pat on Facebook, I messaged him and he answered me back the next day
I've tried that twice and also calling him. You wouldn't happen to have an extra blue deuce like new would you? Lol...

Footballer

He wrote me back on Facebook. I'm on the Blue Duece list now!

silverspur

All great calls by great Callmakers.  I would Gregg Guthridge in that list, he makes a real fine two sider in several different surfaces. You can message him on Facebook. He is Shadow Turkey Calls.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs