turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tate Williams Scratch Box

Started by Paladin85, November 05, 2015, 12:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin85

In the last few months I've learned how to use scratch boxes and bought one each from SS calls (all cedar) and Spring Creek Calls (maple box with cherry striker), which I really like a lot. Recently, I bought a mineral poplar box - walnut soundboard scratch box from Tate Williams and I'm really liking it too.  I'll post a sound file when I figure out how to. His grandfather, Lamar, said Tate had about 9 more at the time and doesn't often have the chance to make them. If you don't have one, I suggest you look into it.

Matt k

I bought a couple myself a year or two ago, they look and sound great.

hunter22

I have a couple scratch boxes made by Tate. One is all-walnut and one is walnut/mahogany. When I called Lamar and asked about a scratch box he told me about his grandson's work. Lamar told me I could get one of Tate's right away that would sound as good as his or I could get on Lamar's waiting list and wait several months and pay 5 times as much. I have a bunch of fine scratch boxes and Tate's ranks with my best. You will not be disappointed.

callmakerman

silverspur

I heard a or saw a video sound file of one of his scratchers and it was pure turkey as your gonna get from a scratch box!.  I guess I need to get me one!
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

KentuckyHeadhunter

Any pics or sound files available on these? 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

hunter22

KentuckyHeadhunter

Thanks Rickey.  It sounds really good and has nice rollover. I still haven't seen one so what style scratcher does he make? 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

outdoors

HOW DO U SEE ABOUT TALKING TO HIM .......AND GETTING ONE.      THANKS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

hunter22

Here are a couple pics of my scratch boxes made by Tate. Mine came from Lamar but Tate's phone number is on one of the boxes. They look a little like a Buice scratch box.

Spring Creek Calls

Picked up this Honduras mahogany and walnut at Unicoi. Toss up between that and a walnut poplar. Should have bought em both!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

hunter22

I am anxiously waiting on a Walnut/Sassafras scratcher that Tate made. Lamar called and told me it was a good one and that's all I needed to hear.

mgm1955

Got several of Tate's combos, butternut/walnut, yellow poplar/walnut, sassafras/walnut, and all cedar. They are all fantastic calls! Can't wait to get them in the woods!