OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 special purpose super magnum help

Started by chott2, October 08, 2015, 08:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waynesworld23

I have that same gun as well as a 21 inch version and in the longer barrel I have a sumtoy .665 I think it is throws a great pattern with 3 and 3.5 inch hevi 6s so I chose the 3 inch shell for both guns do to less recoil
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

laker

Im shooting a very similar gun... I use the Hevi Shot .662 choke and i get good patterns with Hevi 13 #7's or Longbeard #5's.... both in 3.5"

chott2

762hunter

I've got an 870 with the thumb hole stock, currently using a Comp-n-Choke tube, I have a Sumtoy that I like but didn't switch as I can hardly tell any difference in the patterns between the 2.
There are several shells I've tried, going to try out some of the 3rd degree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

I shoot a Jebs .655 with Nitro 4x5x7 or straight #7.It also shoots well with Rhino .660 and hvy. shot #6 or mag.blend Another plus the older 870's seem to be less finicky with ammo preferences imo. You got a great Turkey gun
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Haypatch

Quote from: USMC0331 on December 25, 2015, 07:56:10 PM
I use a rhino 660 with Nitro 4x5x7 or Heavy 13. Hope this helps.

This ^^^^^!! very good results with the Nitro 4x5x7

taylorjones20

I agree with what has already been mentioned in this thread multiple times.  Get a .660 choke and Nitros.  You will not be disappointed!

Alive only by the Grace Of God

gar

The Hevi Shot Hevi13 choke with magnum blends.

mullo16

Great choice  I have that exact same gun with thumb hole stock.  I tried several different choke and shell combos and and have found that mine loves Indian Creek and hevi shot choke the best. Magnum blend and winchester lb shells will give you some great parterns.  If your just wanting to shoot lead shot,  the old remmington ventilator choke will throw some great patterns also

Jbird22

I have the same gun in a different camo pattern. It flat out rocks with Hevi 3.5" 2.25 oz #6's or #7's and a Primos Jellyhead .665 choke. I ended up backing off to a Rem SuperFull Hevi approved choke and the Hevi #6's. That combo produces a good, even hunting pattern that will straight up flatten a turkey! IMO, you won't find a better pump shotgun!

Roost 1

After using a .660 gobblin Thunder with Nitros, Hevi-13, and everything else I switched to a JEBS .655 and Longbeard 4s. Awesome awesome patterns. I don't get caught up in the numbers game anymore and I will guarantee you 4s are the way to go.

Longshanks

I have the 870SM and shoot a Ventilator .655/ Win XX 3/2/6's

160's in a 10 @ 40 yds.

*Didnt require after market sights..shoot double beads. Multi-purpose gun so that was important.
*Have a Hevi 13 Choke .662 and some Hevi 3.5/2.25/6's amd Win LB 3.5 6's. Patterning these in the next week or so and will let you know.

tha bugman

+1
Quote from: gophert on October 15, 2015, 11:21:00 PM
Polish the barrel....get a Jelly Head .660...and shoot some Hevi 13 3.5 #7....you will not be disappointed

Sent from my typewriter