turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 vs 500

Started by jakesdad, February 05, 2016, 09:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500:If you're buying new(20 gauge) off the shelf,which one do you get and why?

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

davisd9

I bought the 500 as it was drill and tapped. I also would rather strip the 500 to clean than the Remington. Another draw for me is the thumb safety. It all comes down to preferences.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

LaLongbeard

I've never owned a 20gauge  but I've had a  500 and 870 in 12  both are tough well made guns. I just happen to prefer the 870. Pick one spend the time and $$ to find the right choke/load combo for your gun.Stay within your guns range limit and if you don't kill a Gobbler it won't be because of your gun.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jakesdad on February 05, 2016, 09:14:10 AM
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500:If you're buying new(20 gauge) off the shelf,which one do you get and why?

In my experience, there's really no difference in performance. They both fit me well. The 870 has more steel but is not drilled and tapped if that is important to you. There are an equal number of after market items available for each of them.

I like the barrel locks into the receiver a bit better on the Mossberg but have no real quarrel with the system on the Remington. Both require that you torque them the same each time you remove the barrel if you have any type of receiver mounted sight.

I have found the new Mossbergs to have excellent quality and the company is very innovative, looking at all the new products they continue to bring to market. I've also found them to be very responsive to my inquiries and requests.

In the end, it comes down to what feels best to you and what you feel best about purchasing. You won't go wrong either way.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: davisd9 on February 05, 2016, 09:19:49 AM
I bought the 500 as it was drill and tapped. I also would rather strip the 500 to clean than the Remington. Another draw for me is the thumb safety. It all comes down to preferences.

Sent from the Strut Zone

Hi Dad  :hello99:
  I just made the same decision not to long ago. I'm not trying to sell the 500 but like David said. I went with the 500 26" barrel,and a trulock choke. I'm tickled pink. I have some posts on her in patterning. And in the 20 ga section. I'm just starting to get her diald in.
Good luck either way you will get a good one. You can do a lot of research here on OG to help with your decision. There's tons of info here.
B-Well
Johnny

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,56037.0.html

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,56280.0.html
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

southern_leo

I'm an 870 guy. Don't own a mossberg but have shot one a fair bit. I like the feel of the 870 more. Although I do like the safety on the mossberg, but wouldn't allow such a small thing to impact my purchase. Bang for your buck i don't think you can beat an 870....that being said since I own one I'm eyeing the 935 as a future purchase. Like others said hold both, shoot both if possible, check the trigger on both then decide. Honestly your in a win win scenario. Both are great guns.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mwr

The only thing I don't like about the 500 is the pump action rattles..

FXDWG

I'll second MWR. I got my son a 20g 500. That thing is noisy as hell. That being said, it's never failed.

BDeal

I bought my son the Mossberg youth 20 this winter and was considering the Remington. I regret buying the Mossberg as the pump is ridiculously loud. I have owned a lot of guns but nothing anywhere near as loud as this one!!

mullo16

Both are great guns.  But for my money you can't beat an 870. All around good feel and mine has been a tank. I've not had one malfunction with it in 12 years. And I don't baby the thing.  But you'll be fine with either one

owlhoot

870 21"  you wont regret it.

Longshanks

870's. 36 years of hunting with them, best all around gun for turkey, ducks, squirrel etc. No mechanical failures..Owned several Mossbergs, 12 & 20, sold them. Will teach both of my boys to hunt with 870's.

tha bugman

+1 The only thing that I will add is that the 500 does come in camo which will would win over the Remington if it has the matte finish.  I'm also lefthanded so having the safety on top is also a plus for the 500
Quote from: Phillipshunt on February 05, 2016, 12:26:35 PM
I've never owned a 20gauge  but I've had a  500 and 870 in 12  both are tough well made guns. I just happen to prefer the 870. Pick one spend the time and $$ to find the right choke/load combo for your gun.Stay within your guns range limit and if you don't kill a Gobbler it won't be because of your gun.