turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

So what is acceptable?

Started by tha bugman, January 06, 2016, 03:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

I remember back in the old days we (or I) never concentrated on pellet numbers just having a good consistent spread was sufficient.  Killing a turkey at 40 yards was considered an amazing feat or very risky depending on who you asked.  Now technology has changed with super chokes and loads.  So my question is what is the minimum pellet count on target by distance  that you would consider acceptable in a gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timberchicken

I guess 100. but as long as you don't have big gaps (2"+)in the pattern and still have enough pellet energy does the number really matter.

MK M GOBL

This would really depend on how you hunt... In my game I just call them in close, bow range is 10 yards and shotgun is under 20 yards and most are at 15. Like I said it might be how you hunt or where but for me this takes all the "I need this choke, these shells..." out of the question. In my game it isn't an issue.

MK M GOBL

dirt road ninja

100 seems to be the general number your looking for inside a 10 inch circle.

Mowoodsman

It only takes 1 pellet to kill 'em.  I'd agree with 100 at 40 yards.  I still use the old federal 2 1/4 oz #6s out of my 10ga bps and farthest shot I've taken and killed a gobbler no flop was 65 yards.  I use a Hastings ported .695 choke.  (P.S. Does anyone know why Hastings went out of business?)
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

Quote from: Mowoodsman on January 16, 2016, 12:15:40 PM
It only takes 1 pellet to kill 'em.  I'd agree with 100 at 40 yards.  I still use the old federal 2 1/4 oz #6s out of my 10ga bps and farthest shot I've taken and killed a gobbler no flop was 65 yards.  I use a Hastings ported .695 choke.  (P.S. Does anyone know why Hastings went out of business?)
As far as Hastings, I remember back in the '80's they came out with rifled shotgun slug barrels for 870's, 1100's, and all the popular pumps and autos. For awhile they were the only game in town for a rifled slug gun. This was their bread and butter for years. It took the manufacturers a decade or more before they offered rifled slug barrels. Once the OEM's offered rifled barrel slug guns with scope mounts and everything that marked dried up. I bought a bunch of New Old Stock Hastings choke tubes for my BPS 10 and Ithaca Mag 10 with SP10 barrel off GunBroker years ago for a few bucks a piece. I was able to do a lot of experimenting for less than $60.