News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scope or not

Started by Blue John, March 28, 2011, 12:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue John

:deadhorse:

Probably gonna have to go to a scope on my SBEII. Using regular bead sight now. shooting low and to the right at 40yds and low at 25 yds. Shooting hevi shot 5's and 7's. Happy with both. Give me some help on scopes  for this gun. I have found a scope (Nikon trophy turkey) but, am having a problem finding the base mounts for the gun. If you can help let me know. thanks,Blue John....

sugarray

Are you set on getting a scope?

A holographic sight like the FF II or the Mueller Quick Shot will give you a much better FOV, easier target acquisition, and unlimited eye relief.

Here is what the weaver site says for base:
http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspx

Blue John

:angel9:

Thanks, I'll try out the sites and see what I can find out...Blue John..

reynolds243

i will say this.....i was totally against getting a red dot until my gun started to pattern left and low. I tried adjustable sights but didnt like them so i went with a mueller quick shot.....i sighted it in this past weekend and so far that thing is awesome. Really like the quick target acquisition and the feel of it.

i would highly recommend it any day of the week and that is coming from someone who has shot a straight bead for 20 years.

Blue John

:angel9:

I looked at it on line. It looks good. Does it use the same mount as a scope? I have never used a scope or even glow sights. I guess an old dog has to change his ways every now and then...LOL.....I may just give the Mueller a try....thanks,Blue John...

sugarray

yes, it uses  the same base as a scope.  With that, though, I would get a picatinny rail.  It has many more slots and this will give you more options of where to mount your site.  I like mine as far back as I can get it.  It takes the sight out of the picture with just the red dot floating out there.

Check out the reviews of the Mueller and the FF II here in this section.  Great info there,  ;)

WyoHunter

Go with a scope! It's the best thing you can do IMO.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

outdoorsurveys

I agree with WyoHunter....go with a scope.  If you keep hunting turkeys with "iron sites" or "glo sites" one of these days you are going to miss a 25 yard shot and sit there totally in disgust and dumbfounded.   It may only happen after dozens upon dozens of consistent take downs.  But let me tell you, it happens more often to turkey hunters (and those with an eagle eye) than you think.  All it takes is one miss and your confidence can be shattered.  In  my opinion, there are enough obstacles and hoops to jump through to finally get that bird into shooting range.  If you don't want a potential miss playing with your head, then get the scope.  Can someone miss with a scope...yea I'm sure is been done on occassion, but the odds of missing with a scope are diminished to the point where they are almost non-existent and are minuscule compared to misses with open sites.

outdoorsurveys

I meant to also add...if you're looking for a set-up example, I'm biased toward what I have (isn't most turkey hunters)....check it out at http://www.outdoorsurveys.com/The_Perfect_Turkey_Gun.html

Meanwhile, good luck to you this season.

gsw

magicman

You could also go with adjustable open sights....something like Williams Fire Sights. That's what I put on my 835 and they work perfectly. Tru Glo also has some you can check out.

reynolds243

Quote from: outdoorsurveys on March 28, 2011, 07:55:46 PM
I agree with WyoHunter....go with a scope.  If you keep hunting turkeys with "iron sites" or "glo sites" one of these days you are going to miss a 25 yard shot and sit there totally in disgust and dumbfounded.   It may only happen after dozens upon dozens of consistent take downs.  But let me tell you, it happens more often to turkey hunters (and those with an eagle eye) than you think.  All it takes is one miss and your confidence can be shattered.  In  my opinion, there are enough obstacles and hoops to jump through to finally get that bird into shooting range.  If you don't want a potential miss playing with your head, then get the scope.  Can someone miss with a scope...yea I'm sure is been done on occassion, but the odds of missing with a scope are diminished to the point where they are almost non-existent and are minuscule compared to misses with open sites.

i have to disagree with that....everyone shoots different and everyone hunts different terrain. I have seen plenty of guys miss with a scope and a followup shot with a magnified scope is much harder to get then with a glo sight or open sights.  It is not like deer hunting where you are taking shots over 100yds and not all turkey hunters shoot past 30yds. A bird that comes in quick at less then 20yds can be missed with a scope i assure you of that...and add to that if one is closer then 10yds and you miss a followup shot is almost impossible depending on the terrain.

outdoorsurveys

Regarding a followup shot.   If statistics were availalbe I'm confident those with a scope would have far far fewer needed followup shots than those without.  No doubt in my mind about that.  In the unlikely event I'll ever need a follow-up shot,  I have compensated by having a see through raised mount....which is also perfect for those who may be challenged to get the bird initially in the scope...you just raise up look at the bird with your open site and then raise to the scope and he's there.  Then place that cross hair, dot or what have you and he's down.

Everyone is different and each has their preferences.  I have met so so many turkey hunters in the field and on bulletin boards that have given up open sights after a miss or two at 15 to 25 yards. I don't know of one who ever went back to open sights after making the switch.   I'm sure there are a few out there...but they have to be in ultra small numbers.

reynolds243

i understand what you are saying but my point is there are pros and cons to both sides..if one side was so lopsided then why are so few hunters using scopes compared to fiber sights(seeing as you brought up stats)? sure money plays a part in that same as gun types and "tradition" but there are tons of hunters that just do not like a scope on there and do not feel comfortable with it.

Add to that the fact that a scope of any kind justs adds in a concern when pulling the trigger...did i bump the scope, is it still on, did it falling when leaned up against a tree affect anything (the list goes on). Open sights are what they are and no matter how rough you are on the gun it still will be shooting where it was that morning. I shot a bead all my life and just this year went to a mueller quick shot only because it was the best way to fix my POI issues i had with my gun. No matter how much i use the gun or kill with it i will ALWAYS have a small part of my mind that wonders if it is still on target before i pull the trigger....same can be said for a scope.

I am not saying either one is the end all be all choice or the absolute clear option...i am not knocking your opinion because people like what they like but you claim how few miss with a scope and i am telling you i have seen as many people miss with one as i have people miss with a bead style. Just because the cross hairs are on it does not mean it is dead...you still have to steady your shot and squeeze the trigger. scopes can get foggy and wet which lead to obstructed views in low light conditions....sun shinning directly behind the target can obstruct the view same with a rain none of which really hurt a bead shooter. 

as i said to each his own and everyone has an opinion for what works for them which is great and fine but i dont agree with how you are suggesting that a scope is far and away the best option and there is a VERY SLIM chance you will  miss if you have one. 

outdoorsurveys

My friend at least we're being civil about our differences in thoughts.
You're right there are indeed more people shooting with open sights than scopes. Absoutely no question about that.   On the other hand, if you were to chart out the ratio of scopes to open sights over the past 5 years and ask the question, which option is growing the fastest in popularity .we both know the answer to that question.  For years guns manufacturers didn't even think of drilling and tapping for a scope but they see the demand for it and where it once was rarely done, its become expected and a standard.

The good news is that any hunter has his option - scope or no scope or bow or slingshot or whatever they find entertaining.  So that's good for us all.  I'm being sincere when I say I have met many many turkey hunters who after years of hunting with open sites and tried a scope were hooked and stayed hooked.   I've never  met the scope hunter who has opted to revert back to open sights.  Though no doubt this has happened somewhere in this great land.  Well actually I need to qualify that....I did have to give up my scope for a while (not by choice) because I purchased a new gun and the new one I bought did not come drilled and tapped when I had expected it to.  I  hunted with the new scopeless gun  for a few seasons (regular NOVA) and then got the Supernova and got my scope back into the field.   
An analogy I often use is the traditional muzzleloader hunter who goes to an in-line model for the first time and realizes what they have been missing relative to accuracy.  Some of those individuals may say "nope, I prefer to keep the old timey flintlock...but they can't (not with a straight face) deny they are giving up a measure of accuracy.
Personally, I look for every reasonable advantage, I found one of those advantages in my scope and after having hunted for years with and without a scope, I know that for me personally, a scope is the only way I would have it and its to the point where as long as he's within a reaonable distance, there's no longer a question in my mind if he'll be going down or not.  Though one day I'm bound to surpise myself and sit there with my mouth wide open watching one fly off into the distance.

It probably makes sense for each turkey hunter to try both options for a few seasons to learn what they truly prefer and where they feel they have an advantage.  I'm sure there are some indivduals who can't get used to a scope and it becomes akward.   Ever wonder why at nearly all traditional turkey shoots they don't allow scopes?...the common answer is  "an unfair advantage".

whiskey

I was reluctant to put anything electronic on my turkey gun. I didn't want a piece of delicate equipment ruining a hunt. Then I got a gun that shot too high and too far left for the fiber optic sights. I got a Burris FFII and I love it. It is so easy to aim now. It has done a lot to increase my confidence in my gun and my shooting. I recommend that you try one. You can always get your money back if you sell it on here.