turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas and Nebraska public land help

Started by chcltlabz, September 15, 2015, 10:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chcltlabz

Folks, I posted this in the hunt swap section and didn't get much response.  I thought I might get a little more assistance putting this up on the main board.

I'm going to be at Ft. Leavenworth for a month this spring and I'm planning on trying to hunt Kansas and Nebraska while I'm there.  It will be the very beginning of the season, but I'm not going to spend a month of the spring without giving it a try.

I'm looking for some place to start looking.  I've seen the maps of public lands for both, but I thought maybe someone would be willing to point me in the general direction of which ones or areas to start looking.

I'm hunting Florida this spring before I go, so this is a great opportunity at a single season slam for me if I can stumble into a merriams and a rio while I'm there.  I know I have to go west in both, but any help would be greatly appreciated.  If someone is going to be in the area that time, I'd love to hook up over a weekend and maybe share a hunt or two, maybe even combine our scouting for better hunting for all of us.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

fallhnt

I'm in both states during archery season and do well on WIHA in KS. and NE public land. You will have to travel 3 hours West of Leavenworth to get a true Rio and 8 hours to nw part of NE. to tag a Merriam. The public land in that part of KS.,Leavenworth, is night and day from NE. Seems like there are fewer birds in the s.e. part of NE. You do have MANY options. Hunt KS. NE. and MO.and enjoy it or go all in on your quest for Rio and Merriam. I can point you in the rite direction eather way. I just don't hunt the west part of MO. so I can't help you much other than say look at MO web site, they have lots of public land.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

turkeykiller22

I worked on La Cygne and Maris de Cygne Wildlife areas in KS and both had birds... Not very big areas but they held birds that can be killed.. Good luck
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

sasquatch1

wish i could be some help, but unless you interested in driving at least as far west as salina i am of no help. If you do want to drive that far pm me.

MDbowman

I had the same idea for when they finally force me to go out there!