OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A Dymondwood replacement

Started by West Augusta, July 24, 2015, 07:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

West Augusta

Mike,  I would pay $7.00 per blank for it. Especially knowing that Dymondwood hasn't even started to rebuild and the supply of Dymondwood is quickly getting used up.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

West Augusta

Webb wood has their web site up and running. 

http://dbwebbinc.com/

I'm currently making my own personal striker out of the HD Webb Wood.

West Augusta

I finally made myself a Webb wood striker.  I had to send the first one back to Webb wood.  Small price to get to be the first to turn their product.
This one is mine and I'll give it a good run against my Dymondwood striker and see how it stacks up but right now I like it.  It isn't the same stuff but then the process is different.  It is slightly softer which gives it a good bite on a pot call surface.

WillowRidgeCalls

The striker sounded good Steve, have you tried tuning one out of the PM or the PH yet, or has anyone else tried it? With the PH being 100% water proof, if it sounds good might just be the ticket?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

lightsoutcalls

I got a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 12" blank of the High Density WebbWood and the Phenolic Medium Density from HUT products.  I haven't had a chance to turn it yet, but came searching to see if anyone else has.  I'll try to get a couple of pictures this weekend after I turn a couple of strikers.  Price was definitely more than the Dymondwood I was used to... 

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

lightsoutcalls

I had hoped to have pictures of strikers turned from the WebbWood material, but ran into a snag.  I purchased a couple of blanks from HUT products and got them in last week.  I cut them to size and started to turn one.  The material was chipping and tearing something awful and had to re-sharpen my gouge twice on the first blank.  Upon closer inspection, the folks at HUT had cut the material cross-grain, which meant I was basically turning end grain... Not only did this cause the material to chip and tear, not only was it rough on tools, it also caused the turned piece to have grain running across the striker rather than the length of the striker... which caused it to break with little pressure.
I contacted WebbWood to explain the issue.  They had already been made aware of the problem.  I called HUT this morning and found that they had cut the material across the grain to increase their yield from the larger planks. I think they are finding that taking shortcuts to increase their profit in-turn ending up costing them more.  They are going to send out replacements for the blanks, so hopefully I will be able to have pictures available NEXT week.  Still looking forward to seeing how this stuff turns.

M,Yingling

seen that on a wood working fourm that hut was sending out cross grain blanks that makes it real tuff to turn strikers impossible ,,,,  I have tried it with dymond wood to get every last blank and it don't work lol 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

pappy

I have turned some of both types from Hut and a dealer ...the hut's was cut wrong and was very unresponsive to my chisels no matter what ... but the wood from the dealer...(on ebay) turned right...I was wondering why....so thanks Wendell for finding out...I am gonna get a hold of Hut and send theirs back....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: pappy on February 10, 2016, 10:31:42 AM
I have turned some of both types from Hut and a dealer ...the hut's was cut wrong and was very unresponsive to my chisels no matter what ... but the wood from the dealer...(on ebay) turned right...I was wondering why....so thanks Wendell for finding out...I am gonna get a hold of Hut and send theirs back....

It took a week and a half to get my replacement stock from HUT.  No offense to HUT, but I can't see buying from them on a long term basis to do any volume of strikers.  That said, I got a striker turned from the high density (without phenolic) last night.  I was pleased with how it turned and really liked the sound on anodized aluminum. 

M,Yingling

got a chance turn some of this wood today at $3.70 a striker blank is it worth it not realy sure yet ,,,  its not to bad  like was said grips pretty good ran a striker on every surface seemed to hold its tip very well  keeps playin havnt conditioned it yet  ,,, I say its a step up from the spectrally laminate wood and step down from dymond wood
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Rick Howard

I have been holding out for the HD phenolic.