OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobble, gobble...Bump, bump...

Started by sixbird, June 02, 2015, 07:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

So, trying to loosely "manage" places I have to hunt. You know, limit the number of birds taken from one spot. All private land.
End of season I know there are a few birds on this one place that I've been hunting. Make it a point not to hunt it any more and not to take anybody else there...I know there's one really big gobbler...Save him for next year...
Gobble, gobble...Thump, thump...There he is, dead as a door nail alongside the road today! Hit by a car...
Looks like an 11" beard and man does he have the hooks! Big bird...Hit by a damned car!   :'(

jepcho

sixbird

Yeah...I'd see him every once in a while as I'd drive by that field. Out there strutting...He's not the last one that'll be on that farm but man, what a waste...

Clif Owen

I hate to see a good deer or turkey go to waste. It's a shame but guess it's all a part of it.

sixbird

Yeah, when I see that I think some hunter could have had a thump and some fine quality meat from that animal...

TauntoHawk

Biggest NY turkey I've come across I watch get hit and killed. Bird was 27lbs 11.25beard and 1 5/8th Spurs just a stud all around.

Always a shame
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SinGin

Thats a nother good reason to shoot jakes, never know they might get wacked by a car in an hour. :newmascot:

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

sixbird

As the birds go around here, he was a huge one...I've probably seen or killed maybe five that size in all the years I've been hunting. Watching him in the fields gave me a kind of comfortable feeling. You know, seeing an old friend type of thing, mixed with the thought that he was "in the bank" for next year.
Well, they hatch and they live their lives and they die, just like us. Hated to see him go that way though...I'm sure he left his genetics behind. He had been with hens there for weeks...So maybe I'll hunt his progeny one day if I don't get hit by a car or something similar...
You do what you think is best. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not...
Thinking back, I almost hit one with my pickup a week or so ago in the same area. Could have been him...Wish he had been more careful... :OGani:

strutnva