Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What to do after bird is down and still "flopping".

Started by HFultzjr, May 26, 2015, 08:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HFultzjr

Ok,

1st I got lucky Saturday and bagged a gobbler. Not very big, but had a 5-1/2 inch beard along with a 2nd 2" beard which I didn't know it had until after the fact. Being almost end of season, I took him.

Anyways, he was about 10-12 yards away when I got a clear shot. Too close, almost missed him. Pattern didn't open up much yet, so I think I just got him on the fringe of the pattern. His head was bobbing and weaving. Bird went down with what looked like multiple head hits to the head when I approached. A direct hit, should have "taken his head off". He then proceeded with flopping and flipping, obviously not going anywhere, but I was prepared should he "revive".

Took at least 3-4 minutes for him to expire. I really didn't like seeing him flopping around for so long, didn't want to shoot again, knew he was "dead", but prefer my shot animals to succumb quickly.

I've seen lots of videos of this, with most people just picking up the flopping bird and waiting for him to expire.

This is the only part of the hunt I didn't like. What would be the ethical and proper thing to do in this situation? I really don't want to club him to death with repeated blows to the head.

Thanks,
Harold

Greg Massey

Just take your foot and place it over his head to pin him down until he expires ...

stinkpickle

If his head isn't up and looking around, i just let him flop.  He's dead.

jperch

Congratulations on a late season bird!  What you witnessed is not uncommon.  As you probably know a decapitated chicken may appear to be alive for a couple of minutes, large birds must have a nervous system very different from mammals.  Be mindful of the spurs first and foremost.  Personally in that situation I step firmly on its neck, close to the body so that the gobbler can not contact me with its spurs.  It may be unaware but still could do damage with its hooks.  Certainly there is no need to shoot again in the situation that you described.  Again, congratulations.  jperch

TRG3

While I've stood on the head while it is still flopping, I'm not sure this has speeded up the process to stop it. I'm of the opinion that the bird is really dead and it's muscle contractions that are at work in making the turkey flop. I've seen a chicken with it's head cut off running around the yard, so I can understand that a dead bird can still be doing things that makes it appear that it's still alive. Now, while the bird is still flopping, I gather up my decoys, etc. and usually when I'm done with that, the gobbler is motionless.

jepcho

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 26, 2015, 08:54:28 AM
If his head isn't up and looking around, i just let him flop.  He's dead.
^^^
I agree with this. I sometimes step on their head if I feel it's necessary but usually let them flop it out if I know for sure they are dead. Grabbing them is too risky with those Sharp spurs flying around.

mgm1955

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 26, 2015, 08:53:32 AM
Just take your foot and place it over his head to pin him down until he expires ...

I get that big ole #12 boot right on his neck, get down on him and hold his wings next to his body real tight.  Never know which one you want to mount, keeps em nice for that.

sixbird

If his eyes aren't open and blinking, he's more than likely dead. They appear to be alive due to leftover nervous/muscle contractions.
If his eyes are open and blinking or his head is up, I do whatever I can to help him along. I'll get a hold on BOTH legs. If you can control BOTH legs, they can't get at ya' with those hooks. A quick rap to the head with a stout stick will send him on his way...
I HATE to see an animal suffer, esp. if I'm the one who caused it so I take my chances with the spurs. That said, I've killed a lot of chickens and domestic turkeys so I have a fair idea how to handle them...
If you don't feel confident of avoiding the spurs, get a rock or a stick, whatever to keep him from suffering.

Turkeyman

As others have said, just leave him alone...he's dead and it's due to a bird's nervous system being different. A lot of times he won't go to wing flapping but you'll observe his legs just twitching. Don't grab them because then he'll go to thrashing and wing flapping! Good way to get spur cuts.

drenalinld

If I do anything it is stand on the neck being sure to cut off air.

TauntoHawk

I pin em down get a boot on their neck all that flapping can mess the feathers up or break a bunch in the tail fan.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spitten and drummen

foot on da head everytime. im not taking a chance on letting him recover. I have seen birds flip and flop , recover and take off like a scalded cat.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

WildTigerTrout

A friend and long time turkey hunter once told me and I quote " the game is not over until you have your foot on his neck."
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

cwb04

Congrats on your bird.  I used to just do the "foot on the head" thing, but over the past several years I have started with that and then moved on to getting his wings under control and getting the bird on his breast or better yet getting the bird on his side where I can then get a knee on him and use my weight to control him.  Using your knee and your weight takes the fight out of them fairly quickly - imagine something 8 or 10 times your weight on your chest.  Once you get him in this situation it doesn't take long and it gives you a few seconds to get yourself composed and give thanks for all that just occurred. 

Flopping around typically results in feathers everywhere and a really wet bird if shot early in the morning. Makes for much better pictures after the harvest if you can get the bird controlled.