Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Another great trip....

Started by DMP, May 08, 2015, 03:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMP

Had a great trip out west this past week. Hooked up with a good friend again in New Mexico and we hit the ground running as soon as I got there. First evening we worked a few birds, but all were henned up and didn't want to play.

Next morning we had birds gobbling everywhere. Called in 5 jakes right off the bat. Passed on them and moved on down a ridge to locate some other birds we had heard. Worked one for an hour but he eventually went the other way with a hen. Circled around them just to have the hen turn around again and take him back where we had originally started working him. These mt birds turn into world class sprinters when they decide they want to move. We worked our way back in front of him again and finally got a shot.

Worked more birds the rest of the day, but all had hens and we could never get in front of them to cut them off.

Next day we chased ghost all day. Birds were gobbling their heads off but we could never get in front of them. All had hens and they were acting like cross country runners. They were covering ground a lot faster than we could in 7000 to 10000 ft elevations.

Wake up the next morning to seek revenge on the sprinters. Again they all had hens and were covering ground, but we were able to go over a mt that they were going around.

Off we go to find another bird. Located one on top of a mountain right away. Make the climb to the top and he cuts us off immediately. Wasn't long before we see a red head working through the rocks and ponderosa pines. Finally found one by himself.

Can't wait to do it again.

DMP

MDbowman

Incredible pics and story. Congrats on a great hunt!

perrytrails

Wow, sounds awesome. Great pics and view. I'd love to hunt there. Congrats!!!

BowBendr

That's some awesome looking country out there. Congrats on some beautiful toms !

Sent by this stupid phone

derek

Beautiful country.  Need to travel one day.  Congrats!
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Doug Lewis

That's awesome man! What part of NM?

Fullfan

Wow great pic's and congrats on the birds. Looks like another great time spend with friends.
Don't gobble at me...