turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This one will go down as "The Night Shift Season"

Started by GSLAM95, May 07, 2015, 11:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSLAM95

I have been on 10 and 12 hr nights with only 4 days off since 3-4-15 so I feel blessed that the girlfriend and I were able to tag out and I am thankful that I was able to get off work early a few times to make it out for flydown even though most of the birds we killed this year were mid to late morning.

I was having withdrawals as everyone who knows me can tell you I usually will sacrifice everything to hunt multiple states each year.

It was a great spring season once again and my only regret is that season has come to a close and we have to wait so long before we get to do it all over again.
Enjoyed each and every trip to the woods and tried to capture some different pics again this year but not as many as usual.

A nice antler shed added to complete this hunt.

I like to change up calls throughout the hunt and rarely use the same call for each sequence of calling.  I used the Springbok Hornstra trumpet, a Mike Lapp long box Chinaberry over Mineral stained poplar and a Clint Corder Slate along with a Strike Zone mouth call (not pictured) by Randy Panek on this bird.

Walked by these mushrooms on the way to setting up on a mid morning Gobbler that gave his position away after hitting the trumpet.  After the bird was down the face mask had to pull double duty.  It was over flowing and had to put some in my vest as well.
Hornstra trumpet again along with a Matt McClain Osage Glass pot paired with a Fowler Ivory tipped striker.

I couldn't resist this spot for pictures and hoped to catch the water falling.  I still take all my field photos with a Sony P41 4 megapixel camera that I pull out of one of my home-brew game cams each year before turkey season.  For a 4 megapixel camera I think they do a great job.

This was my girlfriends second season and again she tagged out.  Last year it was on the opener of her 3rd season permit. 
This year she passed again on Jakes and showed patience as the weekend gave her multiple opportunities on Jakes after a botched chance at a longbeard.  She stuck it out and was rewarded on the last day of her permit as this cautious longbeard ended up having suicidal tendencies.  I couldn't be more proud of her for sticking with it.

After being up for over 20hrs my arms felt like butter and could hardly keep my eyes open.. lol

I use a different wingbone or trumpet almost every hunt but this year I carried Herb Hornstra's springbok every time as it was a special call to me as it was his personal trumpet that he hunted with and wore around his neck at the NWTF convention the last couple of years. 
This year I was totally blown away when he said he would sell it to me as I have asked in the past with no avail.  Thank you again Herb as I have enjoyed this trumpet very much as she is a soft easy player for sure.

Just thought I would throw it in here to show how ate up I am with chasing longbeards.  Yes it's my handle just about everywhere and 95 was my first year for a single season slam thus being the reason why it sticks.

I hope everyone has had a great season and for those who are still able to hunt wherever it may be I wish you all the  :anim_25: in the world as withdrawals have already started on this end.  :wave:

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

tha bugman

kyturkeyhunter4

Congrats! On a great turkey season,nice photos also.

Gooserbat

Way to go man.  I know you will get it done.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

strutnrut

budtripp

Nicely done. I look forward to your end of season posts every year. :you_rock:

55dougie

Great season write up, thanks for sharing it....
Doug. ~ a.k.a. 55dougie

Please check out my web site at: http://drkorn55.wix.com/dougkornsworkshop

101st501

congratulations, and great job to both of you

mgm1955

Congrats to both of you on a fine season!! Great pics!!!

BowBendr

Great write-up and pics. Thanks for sharing brother.

Sent by this stupid phone

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

hunter22

beagler

Never Misses

NJGobblerHunter