OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Glare/Shine from red dot spooking birds?

Started by greenheadIL, March 26, 2011, 09:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

IMO, more birds have been killed with red dots, than have been spooked by them.
More than likely, movement by the hunter is what spooks the bird, not the glare from the front of the sight.

ctwny1

renegade19

I was worried about this issue when I first started using a red dot.  I've come to the conclusion that if he's a shooter, it's "Bang" long before he's close enough to see the glare.

gobbler74

This has been talked about a lot on here. I believe it gets amplified when you throw everyone in the same ring. Lens glare among a thousand other things are capable of looking a bird. I started using red dots 10 years ago. I don't believe I've ever had one spook from the lens but who's to tell. Been too many birds dropped to have been considered a real problem. Considering hunting cover, shading, terrain, yardage, weather and all the various angles we shoot birds at I don't even let it be an issue. If you are considering a scope but worried sick about glare, trust me it ain't worth the time. Just do it and enjoy the hunt.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"