turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge encore patterns

Started by spursandbeards, March 26, 2011, 09:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spursandbeards

shot 20 gauge today with heavy 13 indian creek 555 at 30 yards 218 shot in 10 inch circle first shot ,second shot 180 in 10 inch circle moved to 40 first shot 120 shot in the circle and second shot had 90 in it . big difference in shot # from 30 to 40 and the barrel has been polished and forcing cone lenghtened. so what would be the best thing to do to make a better pattern . if can help thank you

redarrow

dawei

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

dawei

Quote from: spursandbeards on March 26, 2011, 09:16:05 PM
shot 20 gauge today with heavy 13 indian creek 555 at 30 yards 218 shot in 10 inch circle first shot ,second shot 180 in 10 inch circle moved to 40 first shot 120 shot in the circle and second shot had 90 in it . big difference in shot # from 30 to 40 and the barrel has been polished and forcing cone lenghtened. so what would be the best thing to do to make a better pattern . if can help thank you
My suggestion is that if you wish to stay w/HTL ammunition, look at Federal®, Remington®, or Winchester®. The only thing consistent with 20ga Hevi13™ is that it is inconsistent!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

hookedspur

sounds like you need to wipe it out between shots to pattern ,the dirtier it gets the worse it shoots ,but that may be the way you have to hunt .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hardtime_NC

Theres no dollar sign on a piece of mind!

S.C.C

JMO,you have spent the money to have your forcing cone and bbl. polished to offer less resistance and
disturbance to the wad and shot entering the bbl.,but then inturn you are using a brand of choke and
constriction that offers the most resistance and disturbance to the wad and shot on exit of the bbl.
Open the constriction of the choke brand you use now to a .570 and clean the choke with a brush between each shot you take or purchase a choke of another brand in the same constriction you are using now that will offer less resistance and disturbance to the wad and shot column before it leaves the bbl.
I like to use a choke that will shoot at least 5 shots consistant before cleaning,to me that is a good choke to hunt with because how many time do you clean your choke in the Turkey woods or if you have to take a longer second shot through a dirty choke can you depend on a choke you know you have to clean between shots for a consistant pattern at 40 yards.

spursandbeards

thanks guys for the info its a big help i do clean between shots iforgot to put that in im shooting hev 13 #7

Ranman

I agree with S.S.C., open it up to .570, and I bet your numbers will improve.
Ranman