Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Pics of my Bird. Sorry for new thread

Started by Bigeclipse, May 02, 2015, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

Hey guys...sorry for the new thread but for whatever reason my phone couldn't load the pics to the other thread.  Here is the bird I got this morning.  It was a crazy morning.  I had a bird walk off on me.  So I decided to run and gun around 9am.  I started walking out to our top field when I start hearing gobbling.  The gobbling was coming from the neighboring property so I decided to sit on our field and make some calls in hopes to draw him out of the neighboring woods onto our property.  Well 5 minutes later, sure enough he stepped into the field strutting his stuff.  He was looking in my direction and my glasses started severely fogging due to my heavy breathing so I pulled the trigger .  Fortunately where he stepping into the field was about 60 yards and where he ended up when I touched off was about 42 yards paced out.  He went down.  Did I mention I belly crawled from our woods to the edge of our field because I knew the direction of the gobbling but I wasn't sure how far away he was. Good thing I did because like I said, he came out strutting really quick and may have seen me had I been walking up right into the field.  He has about a 9inch beard, and just shy of 1 inch spurs.  The surprising part is everytime I put him on the scale it came in at 21.8-22.2 pounds. I thought the scale was broken but I just tested it with a 10lb weight and sure enough it comes out 10lb 1 ounce so take that for what it's worth! Anyways, I am a long time deer hunter but I have to admit, turkey hunting is a blast!

Bigeclipse

Bigeclipse

hard to take pic of scale and hold bird up at the same time

mason3toes

Congrats buddy. You need to post those pics with the score in the official score thread. Once again congrats on your accomplishment and its easier once you get that first one out of the way.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: mason3toes on May 02, 2015, 11:45:53 PM
Congrats buddy. You need to post those pics with the score in the official score thread. Once again congrats on your accomplishment and its easier once you get that first one out of the way.

I know I had to post in another thread with score sheet and such but do you mean our official score thread or is there like an official official score thread lol? Thanks! I'm up at camp now and have one more day to get a second bird. I will post all this when I get home

bamagtrdude

Hey man, congrats on your bird; wow, 22#'s is a *GOOD* one!
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Bigeclipse

Quote from: bamagtrdude on May 04, 2015, 10:29:07 AM

Thanks man! Yeah when I first weighed him I thought maybe my scale was off but I have since checked with 10 and 15lb weights and it is spot on + or minus an ounce. We have lots of local crops and plentiful woods so I heard the birds in this local area tend to be on the heavier side.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Bigeclipse on May 04, 2015, 11:11:00 AM

Thanks man! Yeah when I first weighed him I thought maybe my scale was off but I have since checked with 10 and 15lb weights and it is spot on + or minus an ounce. We have lots of local crops and plentiful woods so I heard the birds in this local area tend to be on the heavier side.

Fantastic!  Any bird over 20 lbs is a whopper, IMO; congrats on getting one this season, I know you were happy!!
---

Bigeclipse

Quote from: bamagtrdude on May 04, 2015, 11:49:45 AM
Quote from: Bigeclipse on May 04, 2015, 11:11:00 AM

Fantastic!  Any bird over 20 lbs is a whopper, IMO; congrats on getting one this season, I know you were happy!!

Thanks man.  Honestly though, I really do owe it to many people on this site, including you.  Lots of wonderful tips and tricks ive learned.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Bigeclipse on May 04, 2015, 03:31:34 PM
Thanks man.  Honestly though, I really do owe it to many people on this site, including you.  Lots of wonderful tips and tricks ive learned.

Awesome - glad they worked!  :)  I had the pleasure of hunting with a buddy of mine that *finally* got his first nice bird after 6 seasons of hunting them; I had called one in for him that he killed when we first started hunting together, but he did all the hunting & calling on his own this time, and I was super-proud of him!!
---

Bigeclipse

Quote from: bamagtrdude on May 04, 2015, 03:39:35 PM

Awesome - glad they worked!  :)  I had the pleasure of hunting with a buddy of mine that *finally* got his first nice bird after 6 seasons of hunting them; I had called one in for him that he killed when we first started hunting together, but he did all the hunting & calling on his own this time, and I was super-proud of him!!

That's great for him and nice of you to help him out.  I am a big time deer hunter.  And yes, shooting a large rutting buck is pretty dang exciting, maybe more so than shooting my first tom BUT overall, I have to say I like turkey hunting more.  It is simply just MORE exciting. What I mean is yes, maybe the ACT of getting a huge buck is better than a Tom but deer hunting can be downright boring.  Most days you don't see anything, or at least nothing you are looking for.  other days it is so DANG cold. But turkey hunting is just cool because you hear gobbling.  You see strutting.  You can sit all day or run and gun when you get bored.  You can MAKE the situation happen.  If the bird busts you, you can come back tomorrow and the chance of him still in the neighborhood is good where as if a buck busts you, he is likely long gone. Maybe I have been lucky the past 2 years turkey hunting with the birds I have seen and heard.   But man, it has been so much more exciting.  No I will not stop deer hunting but I am thrilled to have found a spring sport I love!

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Bigeclipse on May 05, 2015, 10:52:12 AM

That's great for him and nice of you to help him out.  I am a big time deer hunter.  And yes, shooting a large rutting buck is pretty dang exciting, maybe more so than shooting my first tom BUT overall, I have to say I like turkey hunting more.  It is simply just MORE exciting. What I mean is yes, maybe the ACT of getting a huge buck is better than a Tom but deer hunting can be downright boring.  Most days you don't see anything, or at least nothing you are looking for.  other days it is so DANG cold. But turkey hunting is just cool because you hear gobbling.  You see strutting.  You can sit all day or run and gun when you get bored.  You can MAKE the situation happen.  If the bird busts you, you can come back tomorrow and the chance of him still in the neighborhood is good where as if a buck busts you, he is likely long gone. Maybe I have been lucky the past 2 years turkey hunting with the birds I have seen and heard.   But man, it has been so much more exciting.  No I will not stop deer hunting but I am thrilled to have found a spring sport I love!

Oh ya!  The interaction w/the animal is killer; yes, you can grunt & rattle to a big, rutting buck, but ...  a "direct vocal interaction" with a gobbling bird is awesome!  :)  I started bow hunting deer last year & that was pretty close, in terms of having to get REAL CLOSE to the deer in order to shoot it, but still...  doesn't hold a candle to the excitement of turkey hunting, imo.
---

Bigeclipse

Quote from: bamagtrdude on May 05, 2015, 11:54:35 AM
Quote from: Bigeclipse on May 05, 2015, 10:52:12 AM

Oh ya!  The interaction w/the animal is killer; yes, you can grunt & rattle to a big, rutting buck, but ...  a "direct vocal interaction" with a gobbling bird is awesome!  :)  I started bow hunting deer last year & that was pretty close, in terms of having to get REAL CLOSE to the deer in order to shoot it, but still...  doesn't hold a candle to the excitement of turkey hunting, imo.

Agreed! especially here in NY...rattling for bucks just does not work due to buck to doe ratio.  Grunting is hit or miss.  To date, I have only called in medium to smaller bucks grunting.  So for me, there is no comparison between turkey hunting and buck hunting as far as calling goes.  Now I do bow hunt as well and yes that can be very up close and personal for deer, but again, still doesn't compare when it comes to the calling game. Not for me at least.