Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Nice ending to season in Bama

Started by harleytom, April 30, 2015, 11:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

Went out this morning to try to end the season here on a high note. Nothing was making a sound at daybreak but I ran some clucks and cuts until I managed to get a bird started on neighboring property. I had heard birds there a couple of weeks ago and decided to see if I could work one over to our side. After about 30 minutes of back and forth I ended up with at least 3 gobbling birds within 250 yards of where I sat. A lone hen and 2 young does came into field about 6:15 and I watched them feed in field in front of me for 15 minutes. Suddenly, the hen became nervous looking across neighboring clearcut and ran out of field, followed closely by the deer. Then I heard the source of their alarm, someone was driving down logging road on adjoining property hooting and yelping every hundred yards or so. As to be expected gobbling had stopped as this started up. Though pissed about the situation I decided to sit tight in hopes the idiots might push one of the gobblers closer to me. About an hour later I noticed a turkey slinking along the clearcut edge. I gave a couple of soft yelps and clucks and the bird turns to head into our field. As it entered I desperately looked for sign it was a gobbler, which was difficult as growth in our fields are knee high. After several minutes of looking it worked toward a lower area of the field and as it dropped it's head I spotted a beard. Bingo. I set my dot at a height where it's head would come when raised and waited. After what seemed like an eternity, the head came up and I touched one off. Bird dropped like a rock at 40 yards. Nice 2 yr old w/ 7 & 1/2 inch beard and 3/4 in spurs. Good way to wrap up what turned out to he a nice late charge to my Alabama season. Now I'm in furious preparations for a trip to Nebraska w/ my oldest son next week where we hope to get him his first turkey and me my first Merriam. Reports to follow. Good luck and stay after them to all those still chasing.

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.