Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Got One with a Bow.

Started by Hayudog, April 24, 2015, 05:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

Finally closed the deal with a bow this morning. Birds were gobbling from when I set up. Out of bed late, but yesterday not a single bird to be heard. From when he walked along side to shot, just over a minute. Recovery took two hours. The shot was perfect. Entered base of tail.  He walked off about 30 yards and brushed up next to a tree. I could see him from the blind. Waited an hour watching him. At first when other birds would gobble he'd raise his head. Then for a half an hour he was just there. I could watch him shakehis head. But, he wasn't dying. Thought I'd try to slip in for a shot. Just out of the blind, he stands up and starts walking. Hmmmm. That didn't work. After about thirty minutes I broke everything down. Walked back to the car. Arrow was a complete pass through.
Picked up the dog , she's saved me before. I really thought he'd kept walking. Brought her to where he'd been next to the tree. Within 10 seconds she'd flushed him from twenty yards away in the tall grass. This bird was sick, flew up into a tree twenty yards away. Walked up to him and one thru the thigh he came to the ground. Last one thru the back it was done. This bow and arrow stuff can be tough.
I've got a video. And will follow up with pictures. I'm calling this bird, General Custer. Took 3 arrows to finish him.
Good beard. 10". 17lb 10 oz. Spurs 3/4"

Twowithone

That's quite a feat getting a gobbler with a bow and you did it so Congrats are in order for yourself. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Hayudog

General Custer as I found him.

And one out of the weeds.

TrackeySauresRex

WTG! Congrats on the Turkey KaBob  ;D Mann in diggin' the white tips. I have to get one of the one day.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Deputy 14

Awesome. Congrats on a fine bird.

Hayudog

Video. I can't figure out how to edit the end. After the shot, I tried to call to stop him, but basically nothing happens after that.
Hope it plays.

Twowithone

That limp he had walking away said it all Congrats. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

I've noticed that Photobucket videos play all choppy and sporadic. Have you tried uploading it to You Tube? Much better quality there. Also, any movie editing program will allow you to chop off the end where nothing happens.
Congrats on an exciting hunt and a good bird!! :icon_thumright: