Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Season opener next Friday!!!

Started by Bigeclipse, April 22, 2015, 12:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigeclipse

Hope everyone is having great seasons so far! The season opener here in NY is May1st (next Friday) and I am sooooo PUMPED!!! I am a bit nervous though.  All my plans have gone to SH$T!  The property I typically hunt and see birds is being logged in the spot I typically hunt ( although the loggers have said they have seen some toms repeatedly) My hope is to hunt just outside where they saw then which is only a hundred yards or so from where they are logging.  My father-in-law said they may OR may not be logging opening weekend. I will of course not be shooting near them either way.  If the weekend is a bust I know of a couple public land plots to hunt, but I have NO idea how crowded they will be and what the turkey numbers even look like. Either way, I know I will have a blast just simply being out in the woods.  :z-guntootsmiley:

kevin2

I haven't had any action yet. I've had nothing but action the last 2 years, but not a sound this year yet. I couldn't get out the opener & now the Turkeys are gone. Not sure if another hunter busted them all up or not. Funny thing is, I didn't do any scouting in years past & hit the jackpot & this year, well, not so good! I won't be able to get out again until next Monday or Tuesday.

Good luck with your hunt, hope you bag one!

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Bigeclipse

Quote from: kevin2 on April 24, 2015, 01:44:22 AM
I haven't had any action yet. I've had nothing but action the last 2 years, but not a sound this year yet. I couldn't get out the opener & now the Turkeys are gone. Not sure if another hunter busted them all up or not. Funny thing is, I didn't do any scouting in years past & hit the jackpot & this year, well, not so good! I won't be able to get out again until next Monday or Tuesday.

Good luck with your hunt, hope you bag one!

sorry to hear about your season.  Hope things pick up.  I spoke with my father-in-law and he said the loggers wont be going up there for the next two weeks due to it being too muddy which is great.  We are going to set-up a couple quick smaller natural blinds in the area the loggers have been logging but close to where the loggers saw the 4 toms. This way the blinds hopefully wont scare the turkeys seeing as they likely haven't been that close to the loggers but it will be close enough for us to call them buggers in. Either way ill be happy to just get out in the woods. 

mason3toes

Good luck guys, I finished my bama limit yesterday morning. I have a invite from a guy in the nashville area to hunt so I may get in one more before I call it a year.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: mason3toes on April 27, 2015, 09:59:49 PM
Good luck guys, I finished my bama limit yesterday morning. I have a invite from a guy in the nashville area to hunt so I may get in one more before I call it a year.

Thanks mason3toes! I am pumped for this Friday.  I set up a couple quick ground blinds this past weekend.  While we were in the woods we spotted a hen in one area and possibly a tom (it was a large bird) in another.  The hen "may" have spotted us but she did not run off. She simply walked slowly off.  The other bird did not see us at all. At least we know there are definitely birds in the area.  My father-in-law chose the spot I would have chosen (his land, his choice haha) but I am pretty confident in the area I will be in, plus my calling skills are far better than his hahaha so maybe I can pull a bird from his area  :z-guntootsmiley: