Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

California Birds are Shutting down

Started by Hayudog, April 21, 2015, 10:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

I had the opportunity to help with a Junior only turkey hunt this last weekend.  There are about 20 jrs that get a chance to hunt the University of California Extention property. NWTF and Ca Fish and Wildlife sponsored the hunt. It's a working cattle ranch that they (UC) do multitudes of research on.  It's located in the Sierr@  foothills, oak belt and grassland mix. Perfect Rio country.
I met my jr Steven (14 y/o, never hunted) and his dad Friday afternoon at the orientation meeting. After orientation we went to our assigned area to start the plan.  Had an hour or so before they'd roost, so I did the equipment check.  Steven had a leafy suit, Bennelli Nova, and a face mask. All good so far.  The white tennis shoes, #8 bird shot, and ball cap needed attention.  Handed him a box of Federal HW 7s, and he fit into my extra set of boots. Cap was donated by NWTF.
Best laid plans of roosting a bird were for not.  All quiet. Great roost areas. Digger Pines and ridges. So, plan was to be back before first light and go to the first gobble.  Another plan that didn't come to fruition..I couldn't believe not a single gobble in this canyon. So, the first two hours of hunting was prospecting.  Slow walk and calling every 15 minutes.
Heard one gobble all morning. And it wasn't a response gobble to calling. We cut the distance as best I could tell. Made a set up and called for an hour.  Nothing.  At about 45 minutes we had a hen walk by. She yelped five or six times, never saw her. Thought her buddy should be in tow. Nothing.
So, Steven got a tour of the woods. Had some practice time calling, box and slate, at the car before leaving. Learned the safety set ups, the where and why. Talked to him about public ground he has access to close to his home. Pretty much everything but the excitement of the gobble.
Of the ten hunters that were out, most reported no gobbling. Our spring in Cali started in February this year.  I think most breeding is done and birds are shutting down. Ugh
I've got the afternoon and Sunday's hunt to tell about. More later. Doug

RutnNStrutn

At least you got to take the young man out and introduce him to hunting. That was good!! :icon_thumright: