turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blind setup the night before a hunt

Started by MACHINIST, April 19, 2015, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACHINIST

I usually just sit against a tree but with me taking a my nephew out I will be using the blind quite a bit this year.Just wondering if many people roost birds then set the blind up the night before?I have been scoping a few groups out and have 5-6 spots already cleared of brush/ground debris for blind setup.I hate doing a blind setup in the am as I am far from the quietest person in the woods and don't want to use a light in the am.So I figure to get high on a ridge the night before and watch the birds roost,then wait a hour or so and go to the spot I want to set the blind up for the am.What do you think?

owlhoot

gobblerman87

That will work some blinds are spring loaded for easy setup and easy takedown so if you have done your homework and have a spot in mind that's perftect if not run and fun and set up on the fly quickyl

MACHINIST

First thing in the am we will be using the blind.After that first sit if we get a eye or ear on a tom we will be running and gunning with a stakeout blind

Bowguy

:newmascot: you can set it up after a roost or I normally do it the next morning if I have kids

alclark2

I'd do it the night before IMO. I've noticed that if I make much noise the turkeys get lockjaw sometimes. I think it can be easy to spook them in the mornings. I've watched people setup the blinds being loud and wearing headlamps. They look like UFOs landing and setting up tents. If I can see and hear this... You know the turkeys can.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

drake799

If your able to without to much hassle I would do night before.  When I'm hunting relatively close to my house I've gone out at 10 pm and sat them up within 100-150 yards of birds and next morning never experienced any problems with them. Like said earlier if you
Go in morning and do it.  It likely the birds are already awake in roost and might catch some noise and be put on alarm. So is say if possible i d do it at night

rock54

i drive 45-1hr to get to my spots, so i leave early enough to be set up with blind and decoys,by

5am-5.15am and then have til daylight for calm down time....

i always try to be as quiet as possible...

good luck russ

Cullenhunter

If it's possible, set the blind up in your hunting spot a few days early. Some states don't allow unattended blinds on public land, so read the regulations before doing this. Like tree stands, blinds have a habit of disappearing into the back of other people's trucks, even on private land. Ground stakes are a necessity as well. I've witnessed a few blinds tumbling across a corn field. There is some risk involved but this strategy can pay off. If wildlife become used to the blind, it will just become part of their natural habitat.
Cullen's future best turkey hunter
Hoyt vector turbo
Rem 1100 lt 20 ga
Hr 12 ga

stinkpickle

Quote from: MACHINIST on April 19, 2015, 08:09:45 PM
I usually just sit against a tree but with me taking a my nephew out I will be using the blind quite a bit this year.Just wondering if many people roost birds then set the blind up the night before?I have been scoping a few groups out and have 5-6 spots already cleared of brush/ground debris for blind setup.I hate doing a blind setup in the am as I am far from the quietest person in the woods and don't want to use a light in the am.So I figure to get high on a ridge the night before and watch the birds roost,then wait a hour or so and go to the spot I want to set the blind up for the am.What do you think?

That should work just fine.

Marc

I see no disadvantage to setting up the night before (as long as you do not blow the birds from their roost).  Far better option than setting up the morning of...

I would opt for stakeout blind in the morning, as it is less likely to cause disturbance.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

fallhnt

If you have some trouble putting it up then it would be better set up the night before. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Happy

I typically always roost a bird for my boy the night before we hunt. Now I don't use a blind but I will clear out my chosen tree of leaves and sticks and go ahead and set a hen decoy out. Most times it's not necessary but I like having a spot he can train his gun and wait without to much movement. We can sneak in and get settled quickly and quietly. Seems to work well.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

wvmntnhick

I feel where the op is coming from. I'm taking my niece this year and trying to get her to sit still and quiet is going to be a challenge. My question is this: if you've got a stake blind for later in the day, why not use it all together and skip the big blind? I too broke down and bought a stake blind for use with her and my kids as they get older. Just can't see the need to take the big blind out there if you've already got the other.

Farmboy27

Setting up the night before is a great idea. Just make sure that if you're close to the roost (within sight) that you wait till it's plenty dark and then take your time and do it quietly. Should make for a great morning hunt!  Best of luck!