OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey hunting From a Treestand

Started by BryanOney, April 13, 2015, 02:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanOney

I am considering turkey hunting from a treestand this year.  I would use a climber.  Have heard of people doing this before as a type of more passive less aggressive turkey hunting.  I have heard it is more comfortable than sitting on the ground and helps keep the ticks off.  Has anyone tried this type of hunting and could anyone offer any tips or advice on hunting turkeys out of treestands.  Thanks

Dr Juice

:welcomeOG: I have seen many turkey under my stand during the deer season; but I never try to hunt my stand during the turkey season because I like to run n' gun. Let us know how it works out.  :anim_25:

BryanOney

Thanks for the welcome and will let you know how it goes.  I have turkeys under me all the time when I deer hunt.  They do not seem to notice me even when I move a little.  I dont know but maybe spring birds are more wary than fall birds.  Youth season starts this Sat in Ohio.  My daughter wants to give it a go.

turkey_slayer

Illegal in some states so better check

alclark2

I feel like being mobile is an advantage. I wouldn't hunt from the stand but I hope you get one. Good luck :welcomeOG:
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Ihuntoldschool

I never tried it but I am sure it will add some realism to your calling and help you avoid detection.

gobblerman87

I'd have to agree with the others that mobile is probably better but If you kno where the birds would def be on top of them go for it

Cutt

If there are no leaves or cover within the tree, they will pick you off like nothing. To me, too much work climbing a tree, where you can just sit on the ground and be much more effective, and mobile. Turkey hunting is about being uncomfortable, as they always seem to twist your sitting postion, from comfortable to very uncomfortable, I just deal with it, and treat clothes with Permirthin,for no ticks.

SCGobbler

SC it is illegal to hunt turkey from a stand.  Check your game regulations!
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Sounds like a horrible idea for at least a half dozen reasons.

Doc Holliday

well, fwiw,  you'll play heck getting down fast enough in that climber to get on him if he starts to flop off after the shot.

for passive approach probably a blind and some sawyers permethrin tick spray might be a better idea.
Didn't realize when I chose my user name someone else had almost the same handle...

WildTigerTrout

Why would you want to hunt turkeys from a treestand? Makes no sense to me. This is not deer hunting. Tree stands are effective for deer because they can smell you and you get above their nose. Turkeys can't smell a thing. I recommend you stay on the ground with the rest of us. ;)
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

shaman

The basic catechism on this is that it is wrong to hunt out of a treestand, because unlike deer, turkey predators (owls and such) hang out in trees.  That is the catechism.

I have had many experiences with turkeys in the fall, including having them regularly roost on my stand.  The truth is, if you can stay concealed, you might be able to fool them.  In the fall, they get really hinky over hunter orange, and I've seen them spook at 200+ yards.  This past Rifle Opener, I had a whole flock come by looking for acorns, but I was concealed behind an opaque camo shower curtain that concealed me up to my neck.  Based on that experience, you might pull it off.

But don't.  Turkey hunting is an affair best done from the ground.  You need to be mobile. You need to be flexible. Turkeys are much less prone to choke-points in their travels. Therefore it is harder to place a stand and expect to see them with any regularity.   
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Snoodsniper

Do whatever you like. I know you won't be the first guy to hunt turkeys from a stand. I could see going for a morning sit then run and gun afterwards. I've had several walk under me while bow hunting and not one has picked me out. Welcome to OG!